Diploma in Design Support
The NVQ Diploma in Design at QCF level 2 will develop knowledge and skills in the principles, techniques and processes for designing products.
It includes understanding the design brief, researching, creating visual designs, testing, and applying techniques for the design of products.
Working in a team and assisting in following a design process are also covered.
This qualification is available through approved centres.
Why deliver this qualification
This qualification offers centres flexibility and choice because of the comprehensive range of optional Units.
This NVQ Diploma in Design at QCF level 2 can be offered in any of the following modes:
- part-time (eg day-release)
- open and distance learning
- infill into existing classes
- evening provision
Who does this qualification suit
This qualification is suitable for a wide range of candidates including:
- school leavers
- adult returners to education
- people in employment who wish to enhance their career prospects
- individuals who wish to start their own business
This Diploma in Design at QCF level 2 is included as a component in the Level 2 Design Apprenticeship framework.
As with all SQA qualifications, entry is at the discretion of the centre.
Learners who have achieved the Diploma can progress to job roles relating to their chosen pathways.
- Design Assistant/Trainee Design Assistant: with responsibilities such as working as part of a team supporting designers on projects/campaigns. This could include preparing documents, writing presentations and assisting with briefs, artwork and marketing.
- Trainee Technical Illustrator: with responsibilities such as supporting the developing, amending and drafting of final illustrations for review by the customer. This could include carrying out research.
- Trainee Technical Graphic Design Assistant: with responsibilities such as working within the design and production department on product installation on leaflets, labelling and stationery. This involves liaising with technical personnel from various departments and external suppliers.
- Junior Artworker: with responsibilities such as working as part of a team on brochures, logos, packaging and other products.
They can also do further qualifications to build on their skills, such as the QCF level 3 NVQ Diploma in Design, a Foundation degree, HNC/D or a degree.
Centres will have to come forward for approval and should contact SQA’s Business Development Team for guidance.
Assessors and verifiers must be able to meet SQA’s general requirements for technical/occupational competence as outlined in the Guide to Approval.
How to assess
Ongoing course assessment will apply. Each Unit specification gives information on the Evidence Requirements and approaches to assessment for the Unit.
Where can you take this course?
Qualification content and delivery tools
The NVQ Diploma in Design at QCF level 2 requires the learner to achieve a minimum total of 31 credits: 23 credits from the eight Mandatory Units in Group A plus a minimum of 8 credits from the Optional Units in Group B.
Group Award Code: GK33 54 (39 QCF credit points)
Ofqual Qualification Code: 601/5163/8
For information on the structure of this qualification, please refer to the Qualification Structure.
Unit specifications and Assessment Guidance
Unit and Assessment Specifications and Assessment Guidance for these qualifications are available on SQA's Secure website. These are available from your centre's SQA co-ordinator. For further information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Offer this qualification