Award in Principles of the Cultural Heritage Sector
The Award in Principles of the Cultural Heritage Sector at QCF level 2 will develop knowledge and understanding of the creative and cultural industry together with the skills needed to deliver effective customer service.
This qualification is available through approved centres.
Why deliver this qualification
Learners can progress to a range of courses at a higher level including the Certificate in Principles of the Creative and Cultural Sector at QCF Level 3 and Certificate in Cultural Venue Operations at QCF level 3, allowing centres to retain or build student numbers.
This Award in Principles of the Cultural Heritage Sector at QCF level 2 can be offered in any of the following modes:
- part-time (eg day-release)
- open and distance learning
- infill into existing classes
- evening provision
Who does this qualification suit
This qualification is suitable for a wide range of candidates including:
- school leavers
- adult returners to education
- people in employment who wish to enhance their career prospects
- individuals who wish to start their own business
This Award in Principles of the Creative Heritage Sector at QCF level 2 is included as a component in the Level 2 Cultural and Heritage Venue Operations Apprenticeship framework.
As with all SQA qualifications, entry is at the discretion of the centre.
Learners who have achieved the Award can progress to job roles relating to
their chosen pathways.
- Conservation Assistant: taking on responsibilities such as recording objects/making slides; writing a description/drawing; overseeing cleaning; supporting and repairing/restoring objects; hosting tours for groups; assisting with talks/presentations to amateur and professional audiences; and supporting curators, developers, planners and private businesses.
- An Exhibition Guide/demonstrator with responsibilities such as explaining displays/exhibitions to a range of audiences; telling stories that relate to the exhibition; demonstrating skills or practices (eg ancient crafts, costumes or practices); helping visitors to understand about a time in history and to participate in making things or experiencing the past.
- Front of House Support Staff: with responsibilities such as venue knowledge, ticket sales and exhibition group bookings; dealing with customers; supporting setting-up and servicing meetings; and setting-up and maintaining systems, such as finance, staff records, visitor numbers.
Learners can also do further qualifications to build on their skills, such as Certificate in Principles of the Creative and Cultural Sector at QCF Level 3, Certificate in Cultural Venue Operations Level 3 or a Foundation degree, HNC/D or a degree.
Centres will have to come forward for approval and should contact SQA’s Business Development Team for guidance.
Assessors and verifiers must be able to meet SQA’s general requirements for technical/occupational competence as outlined in the Guide to Approval.
How to assess
Ongoing course assessment will apply. Each Unit specification gives information on the Evidence Requirements and approaches to assessment for the Unit.
Where can you take this course?
Qualification content and delivery tools
The Award in Principles of the Cultural Heritage Sector at QCF level 2 requires the learner to complete all three Mandatory Units in Group A to achieve a total of 11 credits.
Group Award code: GK32 62 (11 QCF credit points)
Ofqual Qualification Code: 601/5100/6
For information on the structure of this qualification, please refer to the Qualification Structure.
- Qualification Structure - Award in Principles of the Cultural Heritage Sector at QCF level 2 (56 KB)
Unit specifications and Assessment Guidance
Unit and Assessment Specifications and Assessment Guidance for these qualifications are available on SQA's Secure website. These are available from your centre's SQA co-ordinator. For further information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Offer this qualification