Certificate in Technical Theatre Support: Sound, Light and Stage
The Certificate in Technical Theatre Support: Sound, Light and Stage at QCF level 2 will develop knowledge and skills in areas such as sound, light and stage management and support.
This qualification includes keeping up to date with technical and production developments in the live arts; cleaning up your own work area; giving customers a positive impression of yourself and your organisation; contributing to good working relationships; and being aware of health and safety in the creative and cultural sector.
This qualification is available through approved centres.
Purpose and Recognition
Why deliver this qualification
This qualification offers centres flexibility and choice because of the comprehensive range of optional Units.
Learners can progress to a range of courses at a higher level including Certificate in Technical Theatre Sound, Light and Stage at level 3 or Technical Theatre Operations at QCF level 3, allowing centres to retain or build student numbers.
This Certificate in Technical Theatre Support: Sound, Light and Stage at QCF level 2 can be offered in any of the following modes:
- part-time (eg day-release)
- open and distance learning
- infill into existing classes
- evening provision
Who does this qualification suit
This qualification is suitable for a wide range of candidates including:
- school leavers
- adult returners to education
- people in employment who wish to enhance their career prospects
- individuals who wish to start their own business
This Certificate in Technical Theatre Support: Sound, Light and Stage at QCF level 2 is included as a component in the Level 2 Technical Theatre: Lighting, Sound & Stage Apprenticeship framework.
As with all SQA qualifications, entry is at the discretion of the centre.
Learners who have achieved the Certificate can progress to job roles relating to their chosen pathways.
- Assistant Lighting Technician: under supervision, installs all electrical equipment for a live performance; sets up stage electrics and effects; checks electrical equipment and provides support during the live performance. This role involves some working at height: focusing, rigging, and providing cues during a performance.
- Board/Console Operator: with responsibilities such as supporting the lighting designer to program (or plot) the control system (board); and operating either the light board or audio mixing console during a live performance. In some venues, Assistant Technicians may also operate the board (console).
- Followspot Operator: carries out many of the tasks of an Assistant Lighting Technician; and operates the followspot during a live performance. Involves working at height, using access equipment.
- Lighting Maintenance Technician: uses tools and equipment for construction and maintenance within the venue; and carries out all maintenance duties safely. In some venues, an Assistant Electrician may be also required to perform maintenance duties.
Learners can also do further qualifications to build on their skills, such as Certificate in Technical Theatre Sound, Light and Stage at level 3, Technical Theatre Operations at QCF level 3, or a Foundation degree, HNC/D or a degree.
Centres will have to come forward for approval and should contact SQA’s Business Development Team for guidance.
Assessors and verifiers must be able to meet SQA’s general requirements for technical/occupational competence as outlined in the Guide to Approval.
How to assess
Ongoing course assessment will apply. Each Unit specification gives information on the Evidence Requirements and approaches to assessment for the Unit.
Where can you take this course?
Qualification content and delivery tools
The Certificate in Technical Theatre Support: Sound, Light and Stage at QCF level 2 requires the learner to achieve a minimum total of 25 credits: 15 credits from the five Mandatory Units in Group A plus a minimum of 7 credits from one Pathway in Group B. The remaining 3 credits may be achieved from the learners chosen Pathway or the Optional Units in Group C.
Group Award code: GK38 54 (25 QCF credit points)
Ofqual Qualification Code: 601/5012/9
For information on the structure of this qualification, please refer to the Qualification Structure.
Unit specifications and Assessment Guidance
Unit and Assessment Specifications and Assessment Guidance for these qualifications are available on SQA's Secure website. These are available from your centre's SQA co-ordinator. For further information, please contact email@example.com
Offer this qualification