An Item Checker is responsible for reviewing questions, items or tasks and appropriate supporting marking instructions for Course assessments under the direction of the Principal Assessor and/or Item Bank Leader which must be undertaken within the conditions, timeframes and arrangements set by SQA.
The primary role is to work with Item Writers and Item Bank Leaders/Principal Assessors to check the consistent application of national standards and subject specific integrity of decision-making in relation to questions, items and tasks which will form part of Course assessments.
These activities will be under the direction of the Principal Assessor, Item Bank Leader and staff from SQA’s Qualifications Development and Operations business directorates as appropriate. There may be a requirement to undertake duties during weekends and holiday periods.
Outline of duties
- Review new question(s)/item(s)/task(s) and marking instructions providing comment on their suitability in terms of validity, reliability, accuracy, degree of difficulty, content, mark allocation, layout, spelling and grammar to ensure they meet the requirements of the item specification.
- Ensure that new question(s)/item(s)/task(s) are free of bias and stereotyping on the basis of factors such as race, religion, disability, sex, social background, sexual orientation and age.
- Ensure activities are concluded by specified dates and assist in ensuring resources are used effectively and efficiently.
- Support SQA with continuous improvement developments.
- Item Checkers may be asked to undertake additional activities. These activities will attract additional payment and could include the following:
- carry out in-service training as appropriate
- participate in workshops/seminars/networking events
- contribute to understanding standards activities
Successful candidates must:
- currently be delivering the Course (or a closely-related Course) and be able to demonstrate excellence in assessing to the national standard
- have experience in other key appointee roles demonstrating competence in assessing to the national standard within their subject and level(s)
- be able to communicate and engage professionally, confidently and effectively with other appointees and SQA staff both orally and in writing
- be able to work professionally and co-operatively with other appointees and SQA staff
- be able to demonstrate good forward planning and time management skills and adhere to deadlines
- have a home computer or laptop with broadband internet connection and a private e-mail address
Key Performance Measures for Item Checker
On completion of the duties outlined in the Item Checker contract specification, the Item Checker will be measured against the following Key Performance Measures and informed of the outcome in relation to their performance.
- Complete review of question(s)/item(s)/task(s) and marking instructions to ensure accordance with the item specification and SQA policy and instructions by specified dates.
- Demonstrate behaviours outlined in the Terms and Conditions of Appointment which support SQA’s values.