Depute Principal Assessor
A Depute Principal Assessor’s primary role is to support the Principal Assessor who leads, supports and works (as appropriate to subject and level) with teams of SQA appointees. Interaction with different groups is vital to ensure consistent application of national standards and to ensure the subject specific integrity of their teams’ decision-making in relation to the externally set/assessed Course assessment arrangements.
These activities will be under the direction of staff from SQA’s Qualification Development and Operations business directorates as appropriate. There may be a requirement to undertake duties during weekends and holiday periods
Outline of duties
The Depute Principal Assessor (DPA) must be familiar with all aspects of the PA role and must be able to stand in as required in order to:
- Lead, direct and undertake the development of item specifications for the specified subject in accordance with SQA guidelines**.
- Lead, direct, support and undertake the production and quality assurance of externally set/assessed Course assessment items/questions for the specified subject in accordance with SQA policy and specifications to include detailed marking instructions for population into item bank.
- Oversee the development of the Item Bank and advise the Qualifications Manager where additional items/questions are required**.
- Chair/oversee checking meetings and provide support to Checkers during this process**.
- Finalise the Course assessment in accordance with SQA policy and specifications.
- Attend the Course Assessment Review meeting and support Reviewers during this process.
- Lead, direct and support the marking programme, including the roll out of SQA’s e-marking solution.
- Lead, direct and support post-examination quality assurance procedures in accordance with SQAs instructions*.
- Undertake the performance management activity of the team against Key Performance Measures.
- Liaise/work with the Principal Verifier prior to grade boundary meetings specifically relating to course assessment components which are subject to external verification activity.
- Undertake the role of a Marker and the marking of any unmarked scripts or scripts requiring to be re-marked.
- Prepare an external assessment report in accordance with SQA specifications.
- Lead all activities to ensure they are concluded within agreed time frames and that resources are used effectively and efficiently to achieve best value.
- Support SQA with continuous improvement developments
- Depute Principal Assessors may be asked to undertake additional activities. These activities will attract additional payment and could include the following:
- prepare performance reports for centres
- undertake bespoke in-service training
- participate in workshops/seminars/networking events
- contribute to Understanding Standards activities
- assist in the development, updating and maintenance work associated with the Course
* Note: Examination procedures will run between the months of April and July each year. The results services process will run between the months of August and September each year.
** Note: These duties may be delegated to the Item Bank Leader where this role exists within a team.
Successful candidates must:
- currently be delivering the Course (or a closely-related Course or work closely with current deliverers) and be able to demonstrate excellence in assessing to the national standard
- have experience in other key appointee roles, demonstrating competence in assessing to the national standard within their subject and level(s)
- be able to engage professionally and co-operatively with all members of their team(s), providing leadership and support as required
- be able to provide accurate feedback on performance to team members in a supportive and professional manner
- be able to communicate professionally, confidently and effectively; work professionally and co-operatively, with stakeholders, other appointees and SQA staff
- be able to demonstrate good forward planning and time management skills and adhere to deadlines
- have a home computer or laptop with broadband internet connection and a private e-mail address
Key Performance Measures for Depute Principal Assessors
On completion of the duties outlined in the DPA contract specification, the DPA will be measured against the Key Performance Measures (KPMs) and informed of the outcome in relation to their performance. KPMs will fall into four areas: Question/Item and Course assessment production, Quality Assurance procedures, Results Services and Generic measures.
Question/Item and Course assessment production
- Provide support to ensure the production and checking of items/questions and externally set/assessed Course assessments by specified dates.
- Support the Item Bank Leader to ensure the production and checking of items/questions and externally set/assessed Course assessments by specified dates**.
- Work with the Item Bank Leader to produce a question paper that is fit for purpose and is in accordance with SQA policy and instructions and includes marking instructions where appropriate**.
Quality assurance procedures
- Support all examination procedures by specified dates.
- Support and Quality assure all materials for examination procedures in accordance with SQA policy and instructions.
- Complete all reports providing feedback on examination performance for SQA within specified dates.
- Support the results services programme in accordance with SQA policy and instructions by specified dates.
- Demonstrate behaviours outlined in the Terms and Conditions of Appointment which support SQA’s values.
- Report on team members’ Key Performance Measures for all tasks by specified dates.
** Note: These Key Performance Measures will apply when the Item Bank Leader role exists within the team.