Depute Principal Verifier
A Depute Principal Verifier (DPV) is responsible for supporting the Principal Verifier in maintaining national standards for the qualifications within their remit by ensuring that all tasks associated with the quality assurance of internally assessed Units and components of Course assessments are carried out within the conditions, timescales and arrangements set by SQA.
The primary role is to support the Principal Verifier and manage the Team Leaders (and Nominees), in the delivery of external quality assurance for qualifications in the subject area(s) concerned, to ensure that national standards are being consistently applied and maintained.
These activities will be under the direction of the Principal Verifier and staff from SQA’s Operations and Qualifications Development directorates as appropriate.
Outline of duties
- Deputise for the Principal Verifier as required and support quality assurance processes in accordance with SQA policy and specification.
- Support the development and delivery of verification training for the team.
- Support external quality assurance events where applicable, ensuring all procedures are conducted in line with SQA requirements and within agreed timescales.
- Monitor, support and oversee team performance to meet SQA verification activity requirements ensuring effective use of team resources during
- Prior verification
- Event verification and/or Visiting verification
- Follow up verification activity.
- Assist SQA in the review of overall performance in relation to internal assessments.
- Assist the Principal Verifier with subject specific enquiries, appeals and complaints
- Support the development and delivery of Understanding Standards activities.
- Contribute to the performance review of team members.
- Additionally, DPVs may be asked to undertake the following activities:
- Participate in SQA organised activities where DPV attendance/input is required
- Undertake qualification approval activity
Successful candidates must:
- currently be delivering the National Qualifications in the subject area and be able to demonstrate excellence in assessing to the national standard
- have an in-depth understanding of all national standards documentation, duties, tasks and procedures associated with the qualification area
- demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills and be able to engage positively with all members of their team, providing leadership and support as required
- be able to communicate professionally, confidently and effectively; work professionally and co-operatively, with stakeholders, other appointees and SQA staff
- provide accurate feedback on performance to team members in a supportive and professional manner
- demonstrate excellent organisational and administrative skills and provide attention to detail
- have a home computer or laptop with broadband internet connection and a private e-mail address
Key Performance Measures for Depute Principal Verifiers
Each year, on completion of the duties the Depute Principal Verifier will be expected to have met the following Key Performance Measures (KPMs):
- Ensure SQA quality assurance activity is carried out and completed within the conditions and timescales set by SQA.
- Support members of the team to meet SQA verification activity in relation to subject specific national standards and SQA procedures.
- Oversee team performance to meet SQA verification activity requirements.
- Ensure accuracy and consistency of decisions made by members of the team.
- Ensure reports generated by members of the team meet quality standard.
- Contribute to the development of Understanding Standards materials for events if required.
- Positive engagement with all members of the team through leadership and management of people.
- Contribute to the review of performance of team members.
- Positive engagement with all members of SQA staff and centre personnel.
- Demonstrate behaviours outlined in the Terms and Conditions of Appointment which support SQA’s values.