Team Leader Event Verification
A Team Leader Event Verification is responsible for supporting the Principal Verifier in maintaining national standards for the qualifications within their remit by ensuring that all tasks associated with the quality assurance of internally assessed Units and components of Course assessments are carried out within the conditions, timescales and arrangements set by SQA.
The primary role is to support and quality assure the work of their team members, in the delivery of external quality assurance for qualifications in the subject area(s) concerned, to ensure that national standards are being consistently applied and maintained.
These activities will be under the direction of the Principal Verifier and staff from SQA’s Operations and Qualifications Development directorates as appropriate.
Outline of duties
- Attend appropriate training and standardisation event(s) as required
- Provide leadership and support to a team of subject specialists involved in external quality assurance activities as required.
- Support the quality assurance processes in accordance with SQA policy and specification.
- Monitor, support and quality assure the work of the team.
- Quality assure reports for centres produced by the team.
- Support the Principal Verifier at external quality assurance events ensuring all procedures are conducted in line with SQA requirements.
- Assist SQA in the review of national consistency in relation to internal assessments.
- Assist Assessment & Data Services staff with subject specific enquiries from centres, team members and SQA officers as required.
- Team Leaders may be asked to undertake additional activities. These activities could include the following:
- follow up quality assurance activity to resolve outstanding issues
- in-service training to support main employer
- participation in workshops/seminars/networking events
- undertaking quality assurance visits
Successful candidates must:
- currently be delivering a Course in the subject area at one or more levels (or a closely-related Course)
- have an in-depth understanding of the requirements across the course/levels in the subject area (which may include Higher and Advanced Higher where appropriate)
- have excellent interpersonal skills and be able to engage positively with all members of their team, providing leadership and support as required
- be able to communicate professionally, confidently and effectively; work professionally and co-operatively with stakeholders, subject specialists and SQA staff
- have excellent organisational and administrative skills and provide attention to detail
- have a home computer or laptop with broadband internet connection and a private e-mail address
Key Performance Measures for Team Leader Event Verification
Each year, on completion of the duties the Team Leader Event will be given feedback on the following Key Performance Measures (KPMs) in relation to their performance.
- Complete training and standardisation programmes as required.
- Ensure SQA quality assurance activity is carried out and completed within the conditions and timescales set by SQA.
- Assist the PV and STL in the training and development of team members.
- Support and monitor performance of Nominees assigned at verification events to meet SQA verification activity requirements.
- Ensure accuracy and consistency of decisions made by Nominees.
- Ensure reports meet the required standard, within conditions and timescales set by SQA.
- Contribute to the development of Understanding Standards materials for events and/or publication in line with the guidance provided by SQA and within required timescales, if required.
- Positive engagement with all members of the team through leadership of people.
- Positive engagement with all members of SQA staff and centre personnel.
- Demonstrate behaviours outlined in the Terms and Conditions of Appointment which support SQA’s values.