Visiting Verifier – Internal Assessment
A Visiting Verifier is responsible for supporting the Principal Verifier in maintaining national standards for the qualifications within their remit by ensuring that all tasks associated with the quality assurance of internally assessed Units and components of Course assessments are carried out within the conditions, timescales and arrangements set by SQA.
The primary role is to support and quality assure the work of SQA centres, for qualifications in the subject area(s) concerned, to ensure that national standards are being consistently applied and maintained.
Activities will be under the direction of the Principal Verifier and staff from SQA’s Operations and Qualification Development directorates as appropriate.
Outline of duties
- Attend appropriate training and standardisation event/s as required
- Support the quality assurance processes in accordance with SQA policy and specification
- Monitor, support and quality assure the work of allocated centres
- Write and submit quantative quality assurance reports on centre visits
- Support the Principal Verifier at external quality assurance events where required, ensuring all procedures are conducted in line with SQA requirements
- Assist SQA in the review of national consistency in relation to internal assessments
- Visiting Verifiers may be asked to undertake additional activities. These activities could include the following:
- undertake follow up quality assurance activity to resolve outstanding issues
- participate in workshops/seminars/networking events
Successful candidates must:
- currently be delivering a Course in the subject area at one or more levels (or a closely-related Course)
- have an in-depth understanding of the requirements across the course/levels in the subject area (which may include Higher and Advanced Higher where appropriate)
- be able to communicate professionally, confidently and effectively; work professionally and co-operatively with stakeholders, subject specialists and SQA staff
- have excellent organisational and administrative skills and provide attention to detail
- have a home computer or laptop with broadband internet connection and a private e-mail address
Key Performance Measures for Visiting Verifiers – Internal Assessment
Each year, on completion of the duties outlined in the Visiting Verifier contract specification, the Visiting Verifier will be measured against the following Key Performance Measures (KPMs) and informed of the outcome in relation to their performance.
- Complete training and standardisation programmes as required
- Carry out verification visits to SQA centres within conditions and timescales set by SQA
- Write and submit verification reports to meet the required standard, within conditions and timescales set by SQA
- Engage positively with all SQA’s centre personnel and with members of SQA staff
- Demonstrate behaviors’ outlined in the Terms and Conditions of Appointment which support SQA’s values.