NC Creative Industries at SCQF level 6
National Certificates (NCs) are practical qualifications designed to equip learners with the knowledge and skills (including Core Skills) required for further study or to gain employment.
The NC in Creative Industries at SCQF level 6 is designed for those with an interest in developing skills that are relevant for the creative sector. It develops knowledge and understanding by allowing the learner to work with a variety of creative briefs and to ‘take a creative product to market’.
Topics covered could include: art and design, graphic design, computing gaming and IT, dance, fashion, journalism, radio, television, languages and music. This NC also allows for the development of transferable skills in project management, entrepreneurship, information technology, collaboration, evaluation and presentation — which are vital for employment within the creative industries.
National Certificates are designed for full-time delivery over one year (or part-time over two years) and are available in colleges.
Why deliver this qualification
NCs bridge the progression gap from school attainment to HN and other study. They are suitable for school leavers and those seeking a route back into study at non-advanced level. They are trusted qualifications having been developed by practitioners with the support of the sector skills councils.
The NC in Creative Industries at SCQF level 6 has been designed with a small mandatory section — three Units — so individual centres can create a flexible qualification which can be tailored to meet local needs and requirements.
It can be offered in any of the following modes:
- part-time (eg day-release)
National Certificates have e-assessment and e-learning options — improving flexibility and enabling time and cost savings.
Successful completion of this NC would enable a candidate to progress to SCQF level 7 programmes of study in related areas. Learners may also find routes into employment in a creative occupation. They may also be able to undertake further creative industries qualifications, for example a Modern Apprenticeship.
The achievement of other awards can also contribute towards the successful completion of this award, for example, added value is possible by learners achieving units that constitute a separate National Progression Award.
National Certificates also include opportunities for learners to develop Core Skills.
Who does this qualification suit
This NC is suitable for a wide range of candidates including:
- S5/S6 school pupils
- school leavers
- adult returners to education
- learners looking to progress to an HNC/HND
- candidates in employment who wish to enhance their career prospects
- individuals who wish to start their own business
Entry is at the discretion of the centre.
It would be expected that learners would have an interest in aspects of the creative industries. Possession of some Core and Essential Skills at SCQF level 5 would be advantageous. It may also be beneficial for learners to have prior knowledge and skills within their chosen area of study. This may be demonstrated by the achievement of units at SCQF level 5 or 6, or evidenced through a creative portfolio or e-portfolio.
Examples of formal entry qualifications include:
- National Awards or Units at SCQF level 4 or above that provide evidence of achievement in creative subjects
- two National Courses at SCQF level 5 (48 credit points at SCQF level 5), eg Art & Design, Media, Computing, Music, or Music Technology
- achievement of English or Communication at SCQF level 4 or above
- relevant work experience whether voluntary or paid
- a portfolio of evidence showing creativity and creative development, either personal or formal academic
The NC in Creative Industries at SCQF level 6 may provide progression opportunities to:
- an HNC/HND in a specific subject specialism (eg Art and Design, Fashion, Music)
- an SVQ in the creative and cultural skills sector
- degree level study at SCQF level 9, eg Creative Industries, Graphic Design, Media Production, Broadcast Production, Animation, Computer Games
- degree level study at SCQF level 10, eg BA(Hons) Animation, Film and TV, Media Production, BSC (Hons) Audio Engineering, Games Development
- employment in the creative industries
Centres not already approved to deliver this qualification need to come forward for approval and should contact SQA’s Business Development Team for guidance.
Assessors and verifiers must be able to meet SQA’s general requirements for technical/occupational competence as outlined in the Systems and Qualifications Guide to Approval.
How to assess
Each unit specification gives detailed information on the evidence requirements and approaches to assessment for the unit.
Each unit is individually assessed. However, there are opportunities to combine the delivery and assessment of various units. The mandatory units can be integrated with whole units or outcomes from the optional section, to provide a holistic approach.
Evidence for the units across the award takes a variety of forms including written/oral, product, performance and additional evidence.
Assessment support packs (ASPs) are available for selected units and can be found on SQA’s secure website.
Where can you take this course?
Qualification content and delivery tools
Group award code: GL44 46 (72 SCQF credit points)
The National Certificate in Creative Industries at SCQF level 6 consists of three mandatory unit(s) (36 SCQF credit points) and six optional Units (36 SCQF credit points).
Group award specification
GL44 46 (1.12 MB)
Support materials for secure site: Yes
Support materials available from: August 2016
Offer this qualification