Using and Operating a Computer System
The most relevant piece of legislation in this area is the Health and Safety (Display Screen Equipment) Regulations 1992. This covers all display screen equipment, not only computer systems, for example cash tills, terminals, etc. The act covers 'users' of display screen equipment. The term 'user' in this case is a person who habitually uses display screen equipment as a significant part of their normal work.
The six main obligations on the employer are to:
- analyse workstations and reduce health and safety risks;
- ensure that workstations meet minimum ergonomic requirements;
- provide information about risks and measures;
- plan daily work routines for users;
- offer eye tests and special glasses if necessary;
- provide health and safety training.