NQ verification approvals update
Approval for National Qualifications 2023–24
Qualification approval is an important process for both centres and SQA. It ensures that a centre has the staff, reference materials, learning materials, assessment materials, equipment and accommodation needed to deliver, assess and internally verify a qualification. We also need to ensure that conditions of assessment for external assessments are understood and will be met.
You can view a list of the qualifications your centre is approved to deliver on SQA.net (under ‘Qualifications – Approved Groupings or Approved Units’) and in Navigator on SQA Connect.
Details of the requirements for approval are available on the specific qualification’s web page.
The deadline for approval applications is 30 September 2023. Certification in 2024 cannot be guaranteed if applications are received after this date. If you do not seek approval, or are unsuccessful in your approval application, you will not be able to enter and result candidates for the qualification, even if delivery is underway.
Completing the approval process before delivery has started is in the best interest of centres, SQA and candidates.
NQ approval forms, covering all types of National Qualifications and including a section on external assessment, are available on SQA Connect. You will find them under the section ‘Forms for centres delivering National Qualifications’.
If you have any questions, or need advice on completing your approval application, please contact your SQA Business Development Account Manager.
Schools have auto-approval for many qualifications but must apply for approval for qualifications that are not auto-approved. Training providers must submit approval applications for all qualifications they intend to deliver for the first time. Colleges can use their devolved authority for approval.
The following units/subject are not auto-approved:
- Skills for Work Automotive Skills
- Skills for Work Building Services Engineering
- Skills for Work Construction Crafts
- Skills for Work Early Education and Childcare
- Skills for Work Energy
- Skills for Work Engineering Skills
- Skills for Work Health and Social Care
- Skills for Work Maritime Skills
- Skills for Work Practical Experiences: Construction and Engineering
- Skills for Work Uniformed and Emergency Services
- Care *
- Dance – National 5 *
- Dance – Higher *
- Sociology *
- Psychology *
- Philosophy *
- Practical Electronics – National 5 *
- Childcare and Development *
- Music Technology – Advanced Higher
Please note that National 5 Practical Metalworking and National 5 Practical Woodworking are now auto-approved for schools. Training providers will continue to submit approval applications for these qualifications for the first-time delivery. Colleges can use their devolved authority for the approval.
* Please note that freestanding units which were formerly part of the National Courses marked with an asterisk are also non-auto-approved. The requirements for approval to deliver these units are the same as those for the courses (as shown on the subject pages on the website).