HNVQ assessment from 2023-24
We would like to remind centres that, for Higher National and Vocational Qualifications (HNVQ) for session 2023-24 onwards, we will:
- Remove the Decision Tree
- Re-instate the evidence requirements for Graded Units in Higher National Certificates and Diplomas, and SQA Advanced Qualifications
- Produce a generic guidance document to help support integration of assessment across units and outcomes. This will replace the existing document ‘Supporting the delivery, assessment and verification of vocational qualifications’
- Offer centres an optional approach to delivery and assessment for some qualifications. Any optional guidance will be based on the aspects of the HNVQ alternative assessment arrangements which have benefitted learners and centres. We will confirm by mid-June which qualifications will have optional guidance. Any optional guidance will be published by the end of August 2023 on our subject webpages.
This decision – which aligns with the approach taken in National Qualifications – was informed by extensive engagement with learners, practitioners from colleges and training providers, Qualification Support Teams, appointees, SQA staff and other internal and external stakeholders, as well as reflecting on the approaches taken by other UK awarding bodies.
These arrangements apply to:
- Higher National Certificates and Diplomas
- SQA Advanced Certificates and Diplomas
- Professional Development Awards
- National Progression Awards
- National Certificates
- Skills for Work
- internally assessed free-standing National Units and centre-devised courses comprising clusters of SQA units
Regulated units and group awards, such as Scottish Vocational Qualifications and VQ units, have separate arrangements. For qualifications regulated by SQA Accreditation, please check the SQA Accreditation website.
Existing assessment materials will continue to be available until the end of session 2022-23.