Physical Education - updated Advanced Higher course specification and coursework assessment task
Following the 2023 exam diet, we are updating course specifications and assessment support materials for some National Courses, to clarify information for teachers, lecturers and learners.
We have made minor changes to the marking instructions in the Advanced Higher Physical Education Course Specification pages 7, 14 and 21.
We have also updated the detailed marking instructions and instructions for candidates in the project assessment task document for session 2023-24.
The changes apply to marking instructions for the following questions.
• Question 1(a) - Within the marking instruction column, we have clarified the requirement for candidates to use methods to gather information that is related to their stated performance topic. This will enable analysis of relevant information in 1(b).
• Question 1(b) - The ‘Additional guidance’ column references the candidate’s stated performance topic and clarifies that the candidate’s analysis of performance strengths must be clearly linked to their identified performance focus. We have also included some guidance on how connection marks can be achieved through analysis of information from one or more methods of data collection.
• Question 2(a) – We have included podcasts as a source of information in the ‘Additional guidance’ column and have removed ‘personal’ to allow for the use of a range of interview types.
• Question 2(b) - Within the ‘Additional guidance’ column, we have added a reminder to reinforce the message that the review of sources completed by the candidate should inform the creation of their personal development plan (PDP) for the research focus. We have also included some guidance on how connection marks can be achieved for analysis of information from one or more source of information.
• Question 4(a) – We have added some guidance to the ‘Additional guidance’ column to advise how connection marks can be achieved for analysis of information from one or more methods of post-PDP data collection.
• Question 4(c)(i) – In the ‘Additional guidance’ column we have added a statement to make it clear that when candidates justify their development needs this must be supported by information gathered from the post-PDP analysis or evaluation of the PDP.
These changes are reflected in the 'Instructions to candidates' guidance which is included in the project assessment task document. Please give your candidates a copy of these updated instructions to support them with completing the project.
The updated documents are dated September 2023 and are available from our Advanced Higher Physical Education webpage.