Understanding Standards - new subject-specific materials available
We’ve published new Understanding Standards materials for Accounting, Graphic Communication, Health and Food Technology, History, Photography and Practical Metalworking.
These materials explain the national standards required for assessments and show how marks are awarded. You can also use them with your candidates to help prepare them for assessment.
The materials include examples of candidate evidence and a written commentary from an SQA senior examiner, which explains how many marks were awarded to each candidate and why.
To view and access the latest Understanding Standards materials, visit www.understandingstandards.org.uk/Updates.
The following materials are now available from the Understanding Standards website:
- National 5 and Higher: a recording of our recent webinar on the assignments (November 2023).
Health and Food Technology
- Higher: new examples of candidate evidence for the question paper, with commentaries.
- Higher: new examples of candidate evidence for the assignment, with commentaries.
- Advanced Higher: new examples of candidate evidence for the question paper, with commentaries.
The following Understanding Standards materials are available from the Understanding Standards section of the SQA secure website (log-in required):
- Advanced Higher: new examples of candidate evidence for the project, with commentaries.
- Higher: a recording of our recent webinar on the Higher question paper (November 2023), accompanied by a Q&A document.
- National 5: new examples of candidate evidence for the practical activity, with commentaries.
Access Understanding Standards materials for your subjects
To access Understanding Standards materials for each subject, please visit our Understanding Standards website at www.understandingstandards.org.uk/Subjects.
You can also access Understanding Standards materials from the Understanding Standards tab on each of our NQ subject webpages at www.sqa.org.uk/nqsubjects.
We publish some Understanding Standards materials on the SQA secure website for assessments where candidate evidence must be kept secure and confidential. Please arrange access to these materials through your SQA co-ordinator.