Consenting to someone else contacting SQA on your behalf

Authorising someone to contact SQA on your behalf

We know that you may not be comfortable or confident about making enquiries, requesting information, making a complaint, or challenging a decision that relates to you. That you may prefer to have someone else do it for you. Before SQA can discuss your enquiry, complaint, or request with someone else, we need to know that you want that person to act on your behalf. Confirmation in writing is required unless you are unable to do so because of a disability or illness.

If you would like someone else to contact SQA and act on your behalf, please complete the following form:

Candidate authorisation form (109 KB)

Acting on someone else's behalf

If you are contacting SQA on behalf of someone who is unable to provide written authorisation for you to act on their behalf due to a learning or physical disability or a health condition, please complete the following form:

Authorisation to act on someone's behalf form (107 KB)

Please send completed forms to or post to us at

Customer support
The Optima Building
58 Robertson Street
G2 8DQ

Once we have received your form we will be able to process your enquiry or complaint.