Awarding 2021 - learners

How have my results been decided for 2021?

Your teacher or lecturer will have gathered demonstrated evidence of your attainment, such as assessment tasks you have completed. They assessed this evidence against the national standard to determine your provisional result, which they submitted to SQA. The deadline for submitting provisional results was 25 June.

What will SQA do to my provisional results to make them final?

SQA will not change your provisional results. We will check for any administrative errors that may occur when schools, colleges and training providers enter the data into our system.

When will my provisional results become final?

You will receive your results on results day, Tuesday 10 August 2021. You will receive your Scottish Qualifications Certificate (SQC) by post. You can also receive your results by text or email if you register for this service at

What is demonstrated evidence?

Demonstrated evidence is examples of your work (such as completed assessments) that clearly show the skills, knowledge and understanding you have developed throughout the course.

What is attainment?

Attainment is the overall assessment of your educational achievements.

What is the alternative certification model?

The alternative certification model is how National 5, Higher and Advanced Higher courses are being resulted this year, following the cancellation of the 2021 exams. It involves five different stages. Stages one to four are now complete.

What if I disagree with the evidence used to determine my grade/my child's grade?

Crucially, this year teachers and lecturers have had the necessary flexibility to support you/your child, whom they know best. That means they have had choices about when and how assessments are undertaken, within a framework they are familiar with. Teachers and lecturers have been gathering evidence in a variety of ways throughout the course of the year. Teacher professional judgement is central to the approach, based on evidence.

Our advice is for learners or parents/carers to speak to the school, college or training provider in the first instance. If you are still concerned, speak to the course leader or headteacher.

What can I do if I disagree with my result?

If you do not agree with your result, you have the right to appeal. You can register that you want to appeal directly on the SQA website. The registration service opened on Friday 25 June and will close on Thursday 12 August. Your appeal will be processed after Results Day on Tuesday 10 August. View more information on the Appeals Service.