National 3 to Advanced Higher modification summaries
From today, we have started to publish modification summary documents that explain, in more detail, the modifications to assessment in National 5 to Advanced Higher courses and some National 3 and National 4 courses, that we announced in June.
Modification summary documents are now available for most subjects and you can access them from the ‘Course information 2021-22’ tab on each of our NQ subject webpages.
The following subjects will be available by the end of August:
- Business Management
- Cruinn-eòlas (Gaelic medium Geography)
- Eachdraidh (Gaelic medium History)
- Gnìomhachas Matamataigs (Gaelic medium Applications of Mathematics)
- Matamataig (Gaelic medium Mathematics)
- Nuadh-eòlas (Gaelic medium Modern Studies)
For most courses, these are the same modifications to assessment that were put in place for session 2020-21. In response to feedback from teachers and lecturers, and the recent easing of public health restrictions, we have adjusted the modifications in around 70 courses for session 2021-22 to give learners more opportunities to demonstrate their knowledge and skills. These adjustments are specific to each course and fall into three broad categories:
- Reinstating coursework, or parts of coursework, that were removed in session 2020-21.
- Adjusting the requirements of performances or practical activities, or providing additional guidance on performances or practical activities, in response to the easing of public health restrictions (practical and performance-based subjects will still have appropriate modifications in place to ensure compliance with public health guidance, while supporting learners to demonstrate their skills).
- Clarifying which course content will or will not be assessed in session 2021-22.
These modifications will help reduce the volume of assessment and ease teacher, lecturer and learner workload, while maintaining the credibility of the qualifications. This will also allow for any lost learning caused by Covid-19 and will support learners as they progress to the next stage of their qualifications.