HNC Events and HND Events Management
Higher National qualifications provide practical skills and theoretical knowledge that meet the needs of employers. The HNC in Events (SCQF level 7) develops knowledge in areas such as events planning, legislation, marketing, budgeting and funding.
The HND in Events Management (SCQF level 8) builds on the knowledge and skills of the HNC and also enhances skills in events planning, contemporary issues, sustainability, management, budgeting and funding, legislation, marketing and communication.
This qualification is available through colleges. Typically, an HNC takes one year to complete and an HND takes two years.
Why deliver this qualification
Higher National qualifications have been developed by SQA in partnership with colleges, universities and industry — so employers recognise that they provide sound evidence of ability.
The Unit-based structure supports flexibility. A Unit is typically 40 hours of timetabled learning.
There is a wide choice of optional Units which will enable centres to offer courses tailored to meet local needs.
This HN provides progression routes to further study (see Progression).
Who does this qualification suit
The HNC in Events and HND in Events Management are suitable for a wide range of candidates including:
- school leavers
- adult returners to education
- individuals in employment who wish to enhance their career prospects
- people who wish to start their own business
As with all SQA qualifications, entry is at the discretion of the centre. Examples of formal entry qualifications include:
- a minimum of one SQA Higher (SCQF level 6) pass at grade C
- an existing HNC award
- appropriate National Certificates at SCQF level 5 or 6
- appropriate groupings of National Units
- an SVQ 2 or 3 in a relevant area
- different combinations of relevant National Qualifications, Scottish Vocational Qualifications and equivalent qualifications from other awarding bodies may also be acceptable
- relevant work experience
- equivalent overseas qualifications which are relevant to the award
- IELTS score of 5.5 (additional support may be provided, in addition the Workplace Communication in English Unit could be chosen by the candidate)
Learners who achieve an HNC Events can progress to the HND Events Management.
HNCs and HNDs can provide progression to degree-level study. For example, the HNC in Events allows direct entry into the second year of some degree programmes, and the HND in Events Management allows direct entry to some third year programmes.
Higher National qualifications also provide the knowledge and understanding required for related Scottish Vocational Qualifications (SVQs).
Centres with devolved authority for approval should use their own internal approval process.
Centres without devolved authority will have to come forward for approval and should contact SQA’s Business Development Team for guidance.
Assessors and verifiers must be able to meet SQA’s general requirements for technical/occupational competence as outlined in the Guide to Approval.
How to assess
Each individual Unit specification gives detailed information on the Evidence Requirements and approaches to assessment for each Unit.
Assessment/e-assessment support packs are available for this qualification.
Where can you take this course?
Qualification content and delivery tools
Group Award code: GK69 15 (96 SCQF credit points)
HNC Events at SCQF level 7 consists of 10 mandatory credits (80 SCQF credit points) and 2 optional credits (16 SCQF credit points).
- HN Events Structures (32KB)
HND Events Management
Group Award code: GK6A 16 (240 SCQF credit points)
HND Events Management at SCQF level 8 consists of 22 or 23 mandatory SQA credits (176 or 184 SCQF credit points, depending on which PR option has been chosen) and a number of optional credits 7 or 8 (56 or 64 SCQF points) to make up to the required 30 SQA credits.
- HN Events Structures (32KB)
For further information on the Units and structure of these qualifications please refer to the Group Award Specification document
Group Award Specification
HNC in Events
Group Award code: G918 15 (96 SCQF credit points)
To achieve the HNC in Events at SCQF level 7, candidates must complete nine mandatory Units (88 SCQF credit points) and one optional Unit (8 - 16 SCQF credit points).
HND in Events Management
Group Award code: G919 16 (240 SCQF credit points)
To achieve the HND in Events Management at SCQF level 8, candidates must complete 17 mandatory Units (176 SCQF credit points) and at least five optional Units (64 SCQF credit points).
For further information on the Units and structure of these qualifications please refer to the Group Award Specification document.
This Group Award has been replaced and has entered into its lapsing period.
The finishing date for this qualification is:
HNC Events 31.07.2018
HND Events Management 31.07.2019
Centres should note that when a Group Award is entered into its lapsing period, the following will apply:
- the Group Award will be deleted from the relevant catalogue.
- the Group Award Arrangements document will remain until the qualification reaches its finish date at which point it will be removed from SQA's website and archived.
- no new centres may be approved to offer the Group Award.
- centres should only enter candidates whom they expect to complete the Group Award during the defined lapsing period of 3 years (HNC) and 4 years (HND).
|Title:||HNC Events and HND Events Management|
|Code:||G918 15 and G919 16|
|Date:||Version 11 (March 2014)|
|Download:||HNC Events and HND Events Management Arrangements Document (961 KB)|