Modern Language Scrutineer
A Modern Language Scrutineer checks and advises on the accuracy and authenticity of language (other than English) in finalised external assessments.
These activities will be under the direction of staff from SQA’s Operations business directorate.
Outline of duties
- Carefully check the text of the external assessment and relevant related material to ensure the authenticity and accuracy of the language used
- Ensure no omissions or spelling errors have occurred, and where the language is Gaidhlig ensure SQA’s orthographic conventions are applied
- Prepare and submit a report in accordance with SQA timescales, commenting on issues and where errors are detected suggesting corrections or alternative renderings
Successful candidates must:
- Be a native speaker of the language and fluent in English
- Be able to demonstrate excellent grammatical knowledge in the subject language and English
- Have a knowledge of the culture of the country/countries in which the language is used and of any orthographic policy which may apply
- Be able to communicate confidently both orally and in writing and provide constructive comments
- Have a home computer or laptop with broadband internet connection and a private e-mail address
Key Performance Measures for Modern Language Scrutineers
Each year, on completion of the duties outlined in the Modern Language Scrutineer contract specification, the Modern Language Scrutineer will be measured against the following key performance measures and informed of the outcome in relation to their performance in that year.
1. Quality Assure materials for external assessment in accordance with SQA policy and instruction
2. Complete duties as per events calendar
3. Submit a Modern Language Scrutineer report on completion of the process, providing constructive feedback and suggestions for amendments on the external assessment where appropriate
4. Positive engagement with all members of SQA staff