National 5 Geography
This Course is valid from August 2013.
The National 5 Geography Course develops a range of geographical skills and techniques. Learners gain a detailed understanding of the ways in which people and the environment interact in response to physical and human processes at local, national, international and global scales.
Updates and announcements
Qualification content and delivery tools
The documents on this page are for teachers and lecturers.
Learners studying this qualification may also find the documents useful.
The 'Related information' panel on this page contains information that applies to all new National Qualifications in this subject.
This explains the overall structure of the Course, including its purpose and aims and information on the skills, knowledge and understanding that will be developed.
Course Assessment Specification
This explains the structure of the Course assessment; including the type and method of assessment. It also includes information on Course coverage.
- N5 Geography Course Assessment Specification session 2015/2016
- N5 Geography Course Assessment Specification session 2014/2015
- N5 Geography Course Assessment Specification session 2015/2016 Comparison
The comparison document clearly illustrates the additional information provided in the updated Course Assessment Specification compared with the previous version.
These provide an outline of what each Unit will cover within the Course and detail the Outcomes and Assessment Standards.
- Geography: Human Environments (National 5) Unit Specification session 2014/2015
- Geography: Human Environments (National 5) Unit Specification session 2015/2016
- Geography: Global Issues (National 5) Unit Specification session 2014/2015
- Geography: Global Issues (National 5) Unit Specification session 2015/2016
- Geography: Physical Environments (National 5) Unit Specification session 2014/2015
- Geography: Physical Environments (National 5) Unit Specification session 2015/2016
Advice and guidance
Course and Unit Support Notes
These provide advice and guidance for teachers/lecturers on learning, teaching and assessment within the Course and its Units.
The following document contains the Course Support Notes and the Unit Support Notes for this Course. They can be printed together or separately.
Past Papers and Marking Instructions
Specimen Question Paper and Marking Instructions
These illustrate the standard, structure and requirements of the question papers learners will sit during the exam diet. They also include marking instructions.
- Geography Specimen Question Paper National 5
- Geography Specimen Question Paper National 5 OS Map Item A Dingwall Area
- Geography Specimen Question Paper National 5 OS Map Item B Coventry
- Guidance on the use of past paper questions for National 5 Geography
- Geography Specimen Question Paper National 5 (Gaelic Medium)
Hodder Education have produced sets of additional model papers that include copies of our Specimen Question Papers, and are available to buy.
The National Parent Forum of Scotland (NPFS) have also produced National 5 Revision in a Nutshell documents to help learners prepare for National 5 exams.
General assessment information provides instructions for the conduct of coursework, an overview of the assessment task, evidence to be gathered and general marking instructions.
Coursework assessment tasks provide the live assessment task, including marking instructions and instructions for candidates. Teachers/lecturers can access these confidential documents through their SQA Co-ordinator.
Unit Assessment Support
These documents contain details of Unit assessment task(s), show approaches to gathering evidence and how the evidence can be judged against the Outcomes and Assessment Standards. Teachers/lecturers can arrange access to these confidential documents through their SQA Co-ordinator.