PDAs in Management and Leadership
SQA offers a range of Professional Development Awards (PDAs) in Management and Leadership. These are short focused awards, each made up of two Units. There are two suites of Management PDAs:
- One suite is based on Higher National Units (Capability Suite). These awards are designed to develop knowledge, skills and understanding of the principles of management. They are not only relevant to employees already in management positions, but also to those aspiring to a managerial role.
- The other suite of Management and Leadership PDAs is made up of SVQ Units (Competency Suite). These awards not only develop knowledge and understanding, but also allow candidates to demonstrate occupational competence in a range of management activities through proof of actual performance in the workplace.
Candidates may attempt a PDA as an end in itself to meet a specific management development need; undertake more than one PDA as part of a programme of management development; or use one or more PDA as a stepping stone to further awards, eg HNC/Diploma in Management and Leadership or SVQs Management. The Management and Leadership PDAs range from SCQF level 6 (Higher) to SCQF level 11(Masters) and are jointly certificated with the Chartered Management Institute (CMI).
For further details on specific Management and Leadership PDAs, please click on the links below:
- PDA in Managing Self and the Work of Others at SCQF level 7 (GC6H 47)
- PDA in Leadership and Management of the Work of Others at SCQF level 7 (GC6H 47)
- PDA in Leadership at SCQF level 8 (G9MN 48)
- PDA in Managing Finances at SCQF level 8 (G9N2 48)
- PDA in Managing Projects and Business Processes at SCQF level 9 (G9N3 49)
- PDA in Planning and Implementing Change at SCQF level 9 (GC6F 49)
- PDA in Leading Change at SCQF level 9 (GC6G 49)
- PDA in Strategic Leadership at SCQF level 11 (GC8V 51)
News - Update letter on HN PDA's in Management (April 2015) (64 KB)
- PDA in Management at SCQF level 6 (G972 46)
- PDA in Analysing Resilience at SCQF level 7 (GJ33 47)
- PDA in Managing Self and Others at SCQF level 7 (G9CR 47)
- PDA in Managing Resources and Quality at SCQF level 7 (G9CP 47)
- PDA in Managing Self and Others at SCQF level 8 (G9CT 48)
- PDA in Leadership and Change at SCQF level 8 (G9CN 48)
- PDA in Project Management at SCQF level 8 (G9CK 48)
- PDA in Strategic Management at SCQF level 8 (GF93 48)
- PDA in Organisational Leadership at SCQF level 9 (G9CV 49)
- PDA in Resilience Management at SCQF level 9 (G9LW 49)
- PDA in Strategic Management at SCQF level 9 (G9CL 49) (finishes 31/07/2015)
- PDA in Decision Making and Innovation at SCQF level 9 (G9CM 49)
- PDA in Organisational Ethics and Decision Making at SCQF level 11(G9M9 51)
Internal Assessment Reports
Approval to deliver PDAs in Management and Leadership
Centres with devolved authority are eligible to seek approval through their own internal approval process.
Centres without devolved authority will have to come forward for approval and should contact the Business Development Team for guidance in completing the combined CA1/SA1 form.
Assessors and verifiers must be able to meet SQA's general requirements as outlined in the guide to approval.
Centres already approved to deliver SVQ 3, 4 or 5 in Management at SCQF levels 7, 9, 11 can apply for streamlined approval to deliver suite of PDAs in Management made up of SVQ Units at SCQF level 7 to SCQF level 9 using the letter below:
Centres already approved to deliver SVQ 5 in Management at SCQF level 11 can apply for streamlined approval to deliver PDA in Strategic Leadership at SCQF level 11 using the letter below:
- PDAs in Management (Capability Suite) Information Sheets (90 KB)
- PDAs in Management (Competency Suite) Information Sheets August 2011 (90KB)
SQA has produced a range of support materials for its Management qualifications, including the PDAs in Management. Your centre's SQA Contact will have access to these support materials on SQA's secure website. Please approach them for access. The attached document shows support materials currently available for all SQA's Management Awards (40 KB).
Chartered Management Institute (CMI)
This qualification is jointly awarded with the Chartered Institute of Management (CMI). Candidates who are registered for this SVQ are able to take advantage of 12 months free studying membership of CMI.