Advanced Higher History
The Advanced Higher History Course allows learners to acquire depth in their knowledge and understanding of historical themes, and to develop further the skills of analysing complex historical issues, evaluating sources and drawing conclusions.
The Course makes a distinctive contribution to the curriculum by engaging in the issues which arise from significant historical events and developments. The depth of study enables learners to engage fully in historical debate and thereby develop a deeper appreciation of the forces which have shaped historical developments.
Updates and announcements
- October 2016 subject update (292 KB)
- May 2016 subject update (201 KB)
- October 2015 subject update (329 KB)
- May 2015 subject update (199 KB)
- January 2015 subject update - Advanced Higher (163 KB)
- History Subject Update September 2014 (328 KB)
- Special Edition Update June 2014 (152 KB)
- September 2013 update letter
Minor amendment to specimen question paper and coursework assessment task
Following the recent Understanding Standards Event for Advanced Higher History, minor amendments have been made to the marking grids for the project dissertation and the question paper to provide further clarification. An updated specimen question paper is available below and the updated coursework assessment task is available from our secure website.
This explains the overall structure of the Course, including its purpose and aims and information on the skills, knowledge and understanding that will be developed.
Course Assessment Specification
This explains the structure of the Course assessment; including the type and method of assessment. It also includes information on Course coverage.
These provide an outline of what each Unit will cover within the Course and detail the Outcomes and Assessment Standards.
Advice and guidance
Course and Unit Support Notes
These provide advice and guidance for teachers/lecturers on learning, teaching and assessment within the Course and its Units.
Past Papers and Marking Instructions
Specimen Question Papers and Marking Instructions
These illustrate the standard, structure and requirements of the question papers learners will sit. These also include marking instructions.
General assessment information provides instructions for the conduct of coursework, an overview of the assessment task, evidence to be gathered and general marking instructions.
Coursework assessment tasks provide the live assessment task, including marking instructions and instructions for candidates. Teachers/lecturers can access these confidential documents through their SQA Co-ordinator.
Information on the production and submission of SQA-assessed coursework for National 5, Higher and Advanced Higher.
Unit Assessment Support
These documents contain details of Unit assessment task(s), show approaches to gathering evidence and how the evidence can be judged against the Outcomes and Assessment Standards. Teachers/lecturers can arrange access to these confidential documents through their SQA Co-ordinator.
Understanding Standards materials
We are publishing examples of candidate evidence with commentaries as part of our Understanding Standards programme. These materials are for teachers and lecturers to help them develop their understanding of the standards required for assessment. As these materials become available, they are being published in the following locations:
- Available from our secure website Materials relating to Unit assessment, internally assessed components of Course assessment, and externally assessed components of Course assessment which are subject to visiting assessment. Teachers and lecturers can arrange access to these materials through their SQA Co-ordinator.
- Available from our Understanding Standards website Materials relating to externally assessed components of Course assessment, with the exception of those subject to visiting assessment.
More information on our Understanding Standards programme, can be found on our Understanding Standards page.