Food and Drink Operations (Fish and Shellfish Processing Skills)
The Scottish Vocational Qualification (SVQ 2) in Food and Drink Operations (Fish and Shellfish Processing Skills) at SCQF level 5 develops the skills and the knowledge required when working with fish and shellfish. It enables individuals to be more proficient in food safety standards and in maintaining the workplace.
Optional Units offer the opportunity to tailor the qualification to suit business needs, for example: fish and shellfish units include filleting, processing, grading, packing and the retail display of fish and shellfish, while more generic units include counter/take-away food service and sales. There are also additional principles units covering product knowledge, frying fish and chips, smoking, quality assessment and seafood sales.
Developed by Improve Ltd (changed to NSFADA (National Skills Food and Drink Academy)), the sector skills council for the food and drink manufacturing sector, the SVQ in Food and Drink Operations qualification is awarded in partnership with SQA and Improve (NSFADA), SQA and SFMTA (Scottish Federation of Meat Traders Association) or SQA and Scottish Bakers. It is available through employers and training providers.
This SVQ must be assessed in the workplace, so is only suitable for individuals employed in the onshore sectors of the fish and shellfish industry.
Why deliver this qualification
The SVQ 2 in Food and Drink Operations (Fish and Shellfish Processing Skills) at SCQF level 5 is a new qualification for the growing food and drink manufacture sector. It has been developed as a result of a review of the National Occupational Standards.
Candidates can progress to a range of courses — allowing centres to retain or build student numbers. For example, candidates could progress to a higher level with SVQ 3 Food and Drink Operations at SCQF level 6. Alternatively, they could progress laterally to SVQ 2 in Food and Drink Operations: Food Manufacturing Excellence at SCQF level 5.
The SVQ can be offered in any of the following modes:
Who does this qualification suit
This SVQ is suitable for:
- individuals currently employed in the processing, retail or food service sectors of the fish/shellfish industry and who wish to obtain a formal qualification
- employers who wish their employees to take a course for continuing professional development
- Entry is at the discretion of the centre.
- No prior qualifications are required to undertake this qualification, although experience in/knowledge of the subject would be an advantage.
The level SVQ 2 at SCQF 5 could provide progression to:
- SVQ 3 Food and Drink Operations at SCQF level 6
- NPA Food and Drink Manufacture at SCQF level 6
- HNC Food Science and Technology at SCQF level 7 or Management/Leadership
- degree level study at a higher education institution
- career development employment in the food (fish and shellfish) sector
Centres with devolved authority for approval should use their own internal approval process.
Centres without devolved authority will have to come forward for approval and should contact SQA’s Business Development Team for guidance.
Assessors and verifiers must be able to meet SQA’s general requirements for technical/occupational competence as outlined in the Guide to Approval.
How to assess
Assessment of this award will be through a series of theoretical and practical assessments or tasks. Some assessments will be carried out under supervised open-book conditions, others under supervised closed-book conditions.
The assessment strategy does not allow for workplace simulation. The assessment strategy does not allow for workplace simulation. The assessment requirements are detailed in Improve’s Assessment Strategy 2013 and SQA’s Assessment Guidance for this award.
Where can you take this course?
Qualification content and delivery tools
Information about the qualification(s)
- GG52 22 (SQA and Improve) (141 KB)
National Occupational Standards
Centres/candidates undertaking these Courses should also refer to the full National Occupational Standards for information relating to the overview and scope.
Unit information for this qualification is available on our Accredited Qualification Unit Search.
Core Skills signposting
- Core Skills Signposting (281 KB)
Awarding partnership arrangements
GG52 22 in Food and Drink Operations (Fish and Shellfish Processing Skills) is jointly awarded by Improve.
This SVQ is a mandatory component in the Level 2 Food and Drink Operations Modern Apprenticeship.
SQA also offers the following components of this Apprenticeship:
- F426 04 Core Skills: Communication SCQF level 4
- F42N 04 Core Skills: Working with Others SCQF level 4
- F42J 04 Core Skills: Problem Solving SCQF level 4
- F42E 04 Core Skills: Information and Communication Technology SCQF level 4
- F42A 04 Core Skills: Numeracy SCQF level 4
For further information on the Level 2 Food and Drink Operations Modern Apprenticeship please visit: http://improveltd.co.uk/scotland/frameworks-scotland
Information about delivery, assessment, quality assurance and support material
Candidate Guidance and Portfolio
- Guidance for candidates starting an SVQ (626 KB)
- Candidate Portfolio A4 Cover (118 KB)
- Candidate blank recording forms (616 KB)