A Visiting Assessor visits centres to assess candidate performance against national standards, in accordance with SQA policy and instructions.
The prime role is to ensure consistent application of national standards when assessing candidate performance.
These activities will be under the direction of the Principal Assessor and staff from SQA’s Qualification Development and Operations business directorates as appropriate.
Outline of duties
- Attend appropriate training and standardisation event/s as required
- Assess the performance of candidates against national standards
- Record and submit results to SQA
- Submit a visiting assessor report
- Support SQA continuous improvement developments
Successful applicants must:
- Have 3 years current experience of delivering the National Qualifications which they are applying to assess. Applications may therefore be made to assess after two years’ delivery experience as the marking will take place during the next (third) academic year.
- Currently be delivering the National Qualifications including National 5 in an SQA-approved centre.
- Have a good working knowledge of SQA’s subject Course Arrangements and associated documentation.
- Be able to communicate and engage confidently, effectively and professionally with Heads of Centre and /or SQA Co-ordinators, centre and SQA staff.
- Be able to conduct themselves in a professional manner as a representative of SQA in centres.
- Be able to work co-operatively and professionally with centre staff, SQA staff and other appointees.
- Be able to demonstrate excellent organisational and administrative skills with an ability to meet SQA deadlines.
- Have a home computer or laptop with Broadband internet connection and a private e-mail address.
Key Performance Measures for Visiting Assessors
Each year, on completion of the duties outlined in the Visiting Assessor contract specification, the Visiting Assessor will be measured against the following key performance measures and informed of the outcome in relation to their performance in that year.
- Attend training meeting and complete standardisation as required
- Assess candidate performance in line with detailed assessment criteria, applying agreed national standards in accordance with specified procedures
- Submit assessment results within set timescales
- Submit a visiting assessor report on completion of visit allocation, providing feedback on assessment performance
- Engage positively with centre staff and SQA staff