Team Leader External Assessment
A Team Leader is responsible for supporting the Principal Assessor in maintaining national standards for the qualifications within their remit. All tasks associated with the quality assurance of externally assessed components of Course assessments must be carried out within the conditions, timescales and arrangements set by SQA.
The primary role is to support the Principal Assessor/Senior Team Leader to ensure that national standards are being consistently applied and maintained.
These activities will be under the direction of the Principal Assessor and staff from SQA’s Qualification Development and Operations directorates as appropriate. There may be a requirement to undertake duties during weekends and holiday periods in your own time.
Outline of duties
- Support the quality assurance processes (marking programme and post-examination quality assurance procedures) in accordance with SQA policy and specification.
- Be available to monitor, manage and provide support to Markers as they complete quality assurance (Practice and Qualification) scripts and throughout the marking period.
- Support post examination quality assurance procedures, carrying out activities assigned by the Principal Assessor to ensure they are concluded within agreed time frames and that resources are used effectively and efficiently to achieve best value
- Assist in the performance management activity of markers against Key Performance Measures.
- Undertake the role of a marker and the marking of any unmarked scripts or scripts requiring to be remarked when required.
- Team Leaders may be asked to undertake additional activities. These activities could include the following:
- Prepare performance reports for centres
- undertake in-service training
- participate in workshops/seminars/networking events
- contribute to Understanding Standards programmes
Successful candidates must:
- currently be delivering the Course (or a closely related Course) in the subject area and be able to demonstrate excellence in assessing to the national standard.
- have experience in other key appointee roles demonstrating competence in assessing to the national standard within their subject and level(s).
- have excellent interpersonal skills and be able to engage positively with all members of their team, providing leadership and support as required.
- be able to communicate professionally, confidently and effectively; work professionally and co-operatively with stakeholders, other appointees and SQA staff.
- have excellent organisational and administrative skills; good forward planning and time management skills, and provide attention to detail.
- have a home computer or laptop with broadband internet connection and a private e-mail address.
Computer hardware and software specifications minimum requirements for eMarking are as follows:
- Window 7 Service Pack 1
- Windows Vista Service Pack 2
- Windows XP Service Pack 3
- 1 GHz processor
- 512 Mb RAM
- Mac OS
- Apple Mac OS X 10.5 or above
- Intel Core™ Duo 1.83Hhz or faster processor
- 512Mb RAM
- Internet Bandwidth (minimum)
- 1 Mbits/s download
- 128 Kbits/s upload
- Screen Resolution
- 1024 x 768
- Adobe Acrobat (for viewing Detailed Marking Instructions)
- Microsoft Silverlight (for scoris assessor)
Key Performance Measures for Team Leader – External Assessment
Each year, on completion of the duties outlined in the Team Leader contract specification, the Team Leader will be measured against the following Key Performance Measures (KPMs) and informed of the outcome in relation to their performance.
- Quality Assure all materials for post examination procedures in accordance with SQA policy and instructions by specified dates.
- Monitor, manage and provide support to Markers throughout the marking period.
- Fulfill the KPMs of the Marker role.
- Demonstrate behaviours outlined in the Terms and Conditions of Appointment which support SQA’s values.
- Report on team members’ Key Performance Measures for all tasks by specified dates.