National 5 Mathematics
The National 5 Mathematics Course enables learners to select and apply mathematical techniques in a variety of mathematical and real-life situations. Learners interpret, communicate and manage information in mathematical form.
Updates and announcements
- May 2016 subject update (229 KB)
- October 2015 subject update (351 KB)
- August 2015 subject update (National 3 to Higher) (173 KB)
- May 2015 subject update (199 KB)
- January 2015 subject update - Advanced Higher (415 KB)
- September 2014 subject update (336 KB)
- Special Edition Update June 2014 (152 KB)
- September 2013 update letter
National 5 and Higher Mathematics Understanding Standards events
As part of our programme of Understanding Standards events, we are running events for National 5 and Higher Mathematics on the following dates:
- 14 November 2016 - Aberdeen
- 15 November 2016 - Inverness
- 22 November 2016 - Glasgow
- 07 December 2016 - Edinburgh
For more information and to book your place, visit www.sqa.org.uk/nqevents. Places will be limited to one place per centre for National 5 and Higher Mathematics.
This explains the overall structure of the Course, including its purpose and aims and information on the skills, knowledge and understanding that will be developed.
Course Assessment Specification
This explains the structure of the Course assessment; including the type and method of assessment. It also includes information on Course coverage.
- N5 Mathematics Course Assessment Specification session 2015/2016
- N5 Mathematics Course Assessment Specification session 2016/2017
- N5 Mathematics Course Assessment Specification session 2016/2017 comparison
The comparison document illustrates the additional information provided in the updated version compared with the previous version.
These provide an outline of what each Unit will cover within the Course and detail the Outcomes and Assessment Standards.
- Mathematics: Applications (National 5) Unit Specification
- Mathematics: Expressions and Formulae (National 5) Unit Specification
- Mathematics Relationships (National 5) Unit Specification
Advice and guidance
Course and Unit Support Notes
These provide advice and guidance for teachers/lecturers on learning, teaching and assessment within the Course and its Units.
The following document contains the Course Support Notes and the Unit Support Notes for this Course. They can be printed together or separately.
Past Papers and Marking Instructions
Specimen and Exemplar Question Papers and Marking Instructions
These illustrate the standard, structure and requirements of the question papers learners will sit. These also include marking instructions.
Please note that it is recommended to open the documents in a separate PDF reader as some of the formulas and symbols will not display properly in a browser PDF viewer.
- Question Paper Brief National 5 Mathematics
- Mathematics: Paper 1 Specimen Question Paper National 5
- Mathematics: Paper 2 Specimen Question Paper National 5
- Mathematics National 5 Formulae List
- Guidance on the use of past paper questions for National 5 Mathematics
- Mathematics Specimen Question Paper 1 National 5 (Gaelic Medium)
- Mathematics Specimen Question Paper 2 National 5 (Gaelic Medium)
National Parent Forum Scotland have also produced their Revision in a Nutshell series to help learners to prepare for new National 5 examinations.
Unit Assessment Support
These documents contain details of Unit assessment task(s), show approaches to gathering evidence and how the evidence can be judged against the Outcomes and Assessment Standards. Teachers/lecturers can arrange access to these confidential documents through their SQA Co-ordinator.
Understanding Standards materials
We are publishing examples of candidate evidence with commentaries as part of our Understanding Standards programme. These materials are for teachers and lecturers to help them develop their understanding of the standards required for assessment. As these materials become available, they are being published in the following locations:
- Available from our secure website Materials relating to Unit assessment, internally assessed components of Course assessment, and externally assessed components of Course assessment which are subject to visiting assessment. Teachers and lecturers can arrange access to these materials through their SQA Co-ordinator.
- Available from our Understanding Standards website Materials relating to externally assessed components of Course assessment, with the exception of those subject to visiting assessment.
More information on our Understanding Standards programme, can be found on our Understanding Standards page.