National 5 Mathematics
This Course is valid from August 2013.
The National 5 Mathematics Course enables learners to select and apply mathematical techniques in a variety of mathematical and real-life situations. Learners interpret, communicate and manage information in mathematical form.
Updates and announcements
- October 2015 subject update (351 KB)
- August 2015 subject update (National 3 - National 4 - National 5 - Higher) (173 KB)
- May 2015 subject update (199 KB)
- January 2015 subject update - Advanced Higher (415 KB)
- September 2014 subject update (336 KB)
- Special Edition Update June 2014 (152 KB)
- September 2013 update letter
Qualification content and delivery tools
The documents on this page are for teachers and lecturers.
Learners studying this qualification may also find the documents useful.
The 'Related information' panel on this page contains information that applies to all new National Qualifications in this subject.
This explains the overall structure of the Course, including its purpose and aims and information on the skills, knowledge and understanding that will be developed.
Course Assessment Specification
This explains the structure of the Course assessment; including the type and method of assessment. It also includes information on Course coverage.
These provide an outline of what each Unit will cover within the Course and detail the Outcomes and Assessment Standards.
- Mathematics: Applications (National 5) Unit Specification
- Mathematics: Expressions and Formulae (National 5) Unit Specification
- Mathematics Relationships (National 5) Unit Specification session 2015/2016
- Mathematics Relationships (National 5) Unit Specification session 2015/2016 Comparison
The comparison document clearly illustrates the additional information provided in the updated Unit Specification compared with the previous version.
Advice and guidance
Course and Unit Support Notes
These provide advice and guidance for teachers/lecturers on learning, teaching and assessment within the Course and its Units.
The following document contains the Course Support Notes and the Unit Support Notes for this Course. They can be printed together or separately.
Past Papers and Marking Instructions
Specimen Question Paper and Marking Instructions
These illustrate the standard, structure and requirements of the question papers learners will sit from session 2013-14. These also include marking instructions.
Please note that it is recommended to open the documents in a separate PDF reader as some of the formulas and symbols will not display properly in a browser PDF viewer.
- Mathematics: Paper 1 Specimen Question Paper National 5
- Mathematics: Paper 2 Specimen Question Paper National 5
- Mathematics National 5 Formulae List
- Guidance on the use of past paper questions for National 5 Mathematics
- Mathematics Specimen Question Paper 1 National 5 (Gaelic Medium)
- Mathematics Specimen Question Paper 2 National 5 (Gaelic Medium)
National Parent Forum Scotland have also produced their Revision in a Nutshell series to help learners to prepare for new National 5 examinations.
Unit Assessment Support
These documents contain details of Unit assessment task(s), show approaches to gathering evidence and how the evidence can be judged against the Outcomes and Assessment Standards. Teachers/lecturers can arrange access to these confidential documents through their SQA Co-ordinator.
Understanding Standards materials
We are publishing examples of candidate evidence with commentaries as part of our Understanding Standards programme. These materials are for teachers and lecturers to help them develop their understanding of the standards required for assessment. As these materials become available, they are being published in the following locations:
- Available from our secure website — Materials relating to Unit assessment, internally assessed components of Course assessment, and externally assessed components of Course assessment which are subject to visiting assessment. Teachers and lecturers can arrange access to these materials through their SQA Co-ordinator.
- Available from our Understanding Standards website — Materials relating to externally assessed components of Course assessment, with the exception of those subject to visiting assessment.
More information on our Understanding Standards programme, can be found on our Understanding Standards page.