This Course is valid from August 2014.
The Higher Mathematics Course enables learners to select and apply mathematical techniques in a variety of mathematical situations. Learners interpret, communicate and manage information in mathematical form.
Updates and announcements
Understanding Standards events
We are hosting Understanding Standards events to help teachers and lecturers develop their understanding of the standards required for the Higher Mathematics Course, and the application of these standards.
Understanding Standards events for Higher Mathematics will take place on the following dates:
- 11 November 2015, Aberdeen
- 01 December 2015, Edinburgh
- 11 December 2015, Glasgow
Places are limited to one delegate per centre, per subject. Book your place today
Qualification content and delivery tools
The documents on this page are for teachers and lecturers.
Learners studying this qualification may also find the documents useful.
The 'Related information' panel on this page contains information that applies to all new National Qualifications in this subject.
This explains the overall structure of the Course, including its purpose and aims and information on the skills, knowledge and understanding that will be developed.
- Higher Mathematics Course Specification
- Higher Mathematics Course Specification (Gaelic translation)
The comparative document above clearly illustrates the additional information provided in the updated Course Specification compared with the version published in April 2012.
Course Assessment Specification
This explains the structure of the Course assessment; including the type and method of assessment. It also includes information on Course coverage.
The comparative document above clearly illustrates the additional information provided in the updated Course Assessment Specification (following development of the Specimen Question Paper and Coursework) compared with the version published in April 2012.
These provide an outline of what each Unit will cover within the Course and detail the Outcomes and Assessment Standards.
Advice and guidance
Course and Unit Support Notes
These provide advice and guidance for teachers/lecturers on learning, teaching and assessment within the Course and its Units.
The following document contains the Course Support Notes and the Unit Support Notes for this Course. They can be printed together or separately.
- Higher Mathematics Course and Unit Support Notes
Past Papers and Marking Instructions
Specimen Question Paper and Marking Instructions
These illustrate the standard, structure and requirements of the question papers learners will sit from session 2013-14. These also include marking instructions.
- Higher Mathematics Paper 1 (Non-Calculator) Specimen Question Paper
- Higher Mathematics Paper 2 Specimen Question Paper
- Guidance on the use of past paper questions for Higher Mathematics
- Higher Mathematics Exemplar Question Paper Guidance
- Higher Mathematics Exemplar Question Paper 1 (Non-Calculator)
- Higher Mathematics Exemplar Question Paper 2
- Higher Mathematics Specimen Question Paper 1(Gaelic Medium)
- Higher Mathematics Specimen Question Paper 2(Gaelic Medium)
Unit Assessment Support
These documents contain details of Unit assessment task(s), show approaches to gathering evidence and how the evidence can be judged against the Outcomes and Assessment Standards. Teachers/lecturers can arrange access to these confidential documents through their SQA Co-ordinator.