Our National Qualifications in Mathematics are designed to motivate and challenge learners by enabling them to select and apply mathematical techniques in a variety of mathematical and real-life situations. These Courses equip learners with the skills needed to interpret and analyse information, simplify and solve problems, and make informed decisions.
Available at the following levels:
- Higher Statistics Award
- Literacy and Numeracy
- National 2 Lifeskills Mathematics
- National 3 Lifeskills Mathematics
- National 4 Lifeskills Mathematics
- National 5 Lifeskills Mathematics
- Advanced Higher Mathematics of Mechanics
- Advanced Higher Statistics
- Mathematics common questions (355 KB)
Mathematics CPD Event Presentations
The following presentation was delivered at CPD events in session 2013/14 for National 3, National 4 and National 5 Courses. It can be used by Nominees to help cascade information to colleagues in their school, college or Local Authority. Equally, anyone delivering these new National Courses may find the contents of help in understanding the standards required.
Updates and announcements
- October 2016 subject update (287 KB)
- May 2016 subject update (229 KB)
- October 2015 subject update (351 KB)
- August 2015 subject update (National 3 to Higher) (173 KB)
- May 2015 subject update (199 KB)
- January 2015 subject update - Advanced Higher (415 KB)
- September 2014 subject update (336 KB)
- Special Edition Update June 2014 (152 KB)
- September 2013 update letter
Changes to assessment in National Courses
Following the Deputy First Minister’s announcement that units and unit assessments will be removed from National 5 to Advanced Higher courses, we are strengthening the course assessment to ensure it covers the full content of the course.
Units and unit assessments will be removed as followed:
- National 5 from 2017–18
- Higher from 2018–19
- Advanced Higher from 2019–20
Information for teachers has been posted on the National 5 Mathematics page.