Our National Qualifications in Gaelic (Learners) develop the skills of reading, listening, talking and writing, to enable learners to understand and use Gaelic. These Courses develop literacy skills by giving learners opportunities to read, listen, talk and write in Gaelic, and to reflect on how this relates to English, in the contexts of society, learning, employability and culture.
Available at the following levels:
- National 2 Modern Languages
- National 3 Modern Languages
- National 4 Modern Languages
- National 5 Modern Languages
- Higher Modern Languages
Gaelic (Learners) common questions
Modern Languages CPD Event Presentations
The following presentation was delivered at CPD events for National 3, National 4 and National 5 Modern Languages Courses during session 2014-15. It can be used by Nominees to help cascade information to colleagues in their school, college or Local Authority. Equally, anyone delivering these Courses may find the contents of help in understanding the standards required. Candidate evidence from these events is available from our secure website.
Updates and announcements
- May 2016 subject update (National 3 - Advanced Higher) (131 KB)
- March 2016 National 1 and National 2 update (141 KB)
- October 2015 subject update (139 KB)
- August 2015 National 2 to Higher update (30 KB)
- May 2015 National 3 to Advanced Higher update (129 KB)
- January 2015 Advanced Higher update (159 KB)
- September 2014 National 1 and National 2 update (375 KB)
- September 2014 National 3 to Higher update (167 KB)
- Special Edition Update June 2014 (152 KB)
- September 2013 National 1 and National 2 update
Changes to assessment in National Courses
Following the Deputy First Minister’s announcement that units and unit assessments will be removed from National 5 to Advanced Higher courses, we are strengthening the course assessment to ensure it covers the full content of the course.
Units and unit assessments will be removed as followed:
- National 5 from 2017–18
- Higher from 2018–19
- Advanced Higher from 2019–20
Information for teachers has been posted on the National 5 subject page.