Art and Design Practical Assessment
This page contains information and resources for submitting Art and Design portfolios for external marking.
Advice on producing and submitting practical work
The following 'Notes of information' document contains advice and guidance for teaching staff on producing practical work for assessment in Art and Design courses.
The following document contains a list of key dates for submitting Art and Design portfolios and requesting the return of portfolios.
- Art and Design Key Dates 2017 (191 KB)
Candidate Portfolio Evaluations
We have created an evaluation template for candidates to use when preparing their expressive and design portfolios at National 5 and Higher. The use of this template is optional for session 2016-17, however it will be a requirement from session 2017-18 onwards.
- Instructions for National 5 and Higher Art and Design portfolio submission (293 KB)
- National 5 Art and Design portfolio evaluation template: Design (70 KB)
- National 5 Art and Design portfolio evaluation template: Expressive (70 KB)
- Higher Art and Design portfolio evaluation template: Design (70 KB)
- Higher Art and Design portfolio evaluation template: Expressive (70 KB)
Documents and labels
The following documents will be sent directly to SQA Co-ordinators in advance of the portfolio uplift dates:
- Attendance Register forms (National 5, Higher and Advanced Higher)
- Candidate Identifying labels
- Supply of Parcel Force labels for the submission of artwork
In addition, the following documents are available online using the links below:
- Art and Design Advanced Higher External Assessment Flyleaf (121 KB)
- Package Identifying Labels for National 5 (89 KB)
- Package Identifying Labels for Higher (89 KB)
- Adhesive Labels for Advanced Higher (Design) (50 KB)
- Adhesive Labels for Advanced Higher (Expressive) (50 KB)
- Notes on Completion of Attendance Register National 5 and Higher (445 KB)
- Notes on Completion of Attendance Register Advanced Higher (437 KB)
Where to send portfolio submissions
Please send all portfolio submissions to the following postal address:
c/o Midlothian Indoor Bowling Club
How to request the return of an Art and Design portfolio
We provide a service to return non-examination material to centres or candidates after it has been externally assessed, where the material cannot be easily copied. This includes Art and Design portfolios. To request the return of external assessment materials, please complete the appropriate form below.
- Candidate Request for Return of External Assessment Material
- Centre Request for Return of External Assessment Material
Please note that Advanced Higher Art and Design portfolios are no longer returned to centres free of charge following the external assessment event in June. The return of these portfolios must now be requested as part of the Return of Materials process, and the appropriate fee paid.
Where a returns request is not received, the portfolio will be disposed of at the end of the following January.
If you have any queries regarding any of the above information, please contact our Event Servicing Team by e-mailing email@example.com or calling 0345 213 6664.