Waste Supervisory Management
The Scottish Vocational Qualifications (SVQs) in Waste Operations have been developed by Energy and Utility Skills and are awarded jointly in Scotland by SQA and the Waste Management Industry Training and Advisory Board (WAMITAB).
Waste Operations: Supervisory Management at SCQF level 6 provides individuals with the skills that they will need to oversee the work of one or more teams dealing with refuse collection operations or processes. It is ideal for people who wish to move into a supervisory role or for those who are already working in the sector who wish to prove their competence.
This qualification is available through employers, colleges or training providers.
Why deliver this qualification
The Scottish Government’s Zero Waste Plan states that: ‘Zero Waste Scotland will develop a programme to support continual improvement in health and safety and workforce skills in the resource management sector’. These SVQs are a key part of the plan, providing and certifying the skills and knowledge of the workforce.
The SVQ 3 Waste Supervisory Management is a flexible qualification that can be tailored to meet personal or organisational requirements.
The SVQ 3 Waste Operations: Supervisory Management at SCQF level 6 can be offered:
- part-time (eg day-release)
- through on the job training
Who does this qualification suit
This SVQ is suitable for:
- people of all ages at any stage in their career
- people in the waste and resource management sector who are involved in overseeing the work of one or more teams carrying out refuse collection operations/processes
- those wishing to move into a supervisory role within the waste management sector
Employed candidates may be working for local authorities, waste management organisations or third sector organisations in Scotland.
Entry is at the discretion of the centre.
No prior qualifications are required to undertake this qualification, although knowledge or experience of waste management would be an advantage.
This SVQ is also suitable for candidates progressing from:
- an SVQ 2 in Waste Operations at SCQF level 5
This SVQ 3 could provide progression to:
- an HNC/HND in Wastes or Sustainable Resource Management
- Diplomas in Waste Management Operations
- SVQ 4 Management of Recycling Operations — available with a range of different specialisms
- employment in the waste management sector as a supervisor
Centres with devolved authority are eligible to seek approval through their own internal approval process.
Centres without devolved authority will have to come forward for approval and should contact the Business Development Team for guidance in completing the form.
Assessors and verifiers must be able to meet SQA’s general requirements for technical/occupational competence as well as any specific requirements of the EU Skills Assessment Strategy which underpins the quality assurance for this SVQ.
How to assess
Assessment may involve a range of assessment methods. The methods of assessment used should generate sufficient evidence to demonstrate the candidate’s competence. They could include:
- observation (by the assessor)
- questions and candidate responses
- personal statement (produced by the candidate)
- witness testimony
- product evidence
Where can you take this course?
Qualification content and delivery tools
Information about the qualification(s)
This Scottish Vocational Qualification in Waste Operations: Waste Supervisory Management at SCQF Level 5 consists of five mandatory Units and five optional Units.
For further information on the structure of this qualification please refer to the qualification structure (178 KB)
National Occupational Standards
Unit information for this qualification is available on our Accredited Qualification Unit Search.
Awarding partnership arrangements
This qualification is jointly awarded with the Waste Management Industry Training and Advisory Board (WAMITAB).
This SVQ 3 is part of a Modern Apprenticeship in Sustainable Resource Management.
- F427 04 - Core Skills: Communication SCQF level 5
- F42P 04 - Core Skills: Working with Others SCQF level 5
- F42K 04 - Core Skills: Problem Solving SCQF level 5
- F42F 04 - Core Skills: Information and Communication Technology SCQF level 5
- F42B 04 - Core Skills: Numeracy SCQF level 5