SVQ 3 Procurement
The Scottish Vocational Qualification (SVQ) level 3 in Procurement at SCQF level 6 allows candidates to demonstrate competence in job-related skills in their particular area of work and expertise. It is intended for people who are employed as procurement administrators, assistant buyers, contract analysts or stock/inventory controller/planners.
This qualification has been designed in partnership with the Skills for Logistics, Skills Development Scotland, the Scottish Government’s Procurement team, CIPS (Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply), and SQA. It is appropriate for those working in the procurement function in the public, private and voluntary sectors.
Scotland is leading the way on raising awareness of procurement to encourage young people in to the profession. This SVQ and the Modern Apprenticeship is one strand within the Scottish Government’s Procurement People of Tomorrow initiative.
SVQs are based on National Occupational Standards. SQA works in partnership with other organisations to ensure that National Occupational Standards (NOS) are relevant to the current and future needs of Scottish industries.
This qualification is available through employers and training providers.
Why deliver this qualification
The SVQ 3 in Procurement at SCQF level 6 is a new qualification. Learners will gain an internationally recognised qualification which guarantees that they have the skills, knowledge and abilities required to carry out their role successfully.
As assessment is carried out in the workplace; this minimises any time learners would need to be away from their work.
Candidates can progress to a range of qualifications including Supply Chain Management SVQs at Levels 4 and 5, and relevant professional body qualifications such as the Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply (CIPs).
The SVQ can be offered in any of the following modes:
- part-time (eg day-release)
- open and distance learning
Who does this qualification suit
This SVQ is suitable for:
- Modern Apprentices
- individuals who are currently in employment and who wish to obtain a formal qualification
- continuing professional development for experienced employees
- individuals who are employed as a procurement administrator, assistant buyer, contract analyst, stock/inventory controller/planner to enhance existing skills and develop additional skills in the procurement sector
- those working in the procurement function in public, private and voluntary sectors
Entry is at the discretion of the centre.
Candidates should be in a job or placement where they are carrying out relevant tasks and responsibilities which allow then to gather the required evidence.
No prior qualifications are required to undertake this qualification, although experience in/knowledge of subject would be an advantage.
The SVQ 3 Procurement at SCQF level 6 could provide progression to:
- an HNC/HND in Supply Chain Management or a related area
- an SVQ at levels 4 and 5 in Supply Chain Management
- relevant professional body qualifications
- degree level study at a higher education institution
- employment in a wide range of sectors, perhaps as a senior buyer or procurement manager
Centres with devolved authority for approval should use their own internal approval process.
Centres without devolved authority require to come forward for approval and should contact SQA’s Business Development Team for guidance.
Assessors and verifiers must be able to meet SQA’s general requirements for technical/occupational competence as outlined in the Systems and Qualification Approval Guide.
How to assess
For general information on how to assess this qualification, please refer to the document Guidance on how to assess SVQs. For detailed guidance on how to assess this particular SVQ, please refer to the Assessment Strategy.
Where can you take this course?
Qualification content and delivery tools
Information about the qualification(s)
National Occupational Standards
Unit information for this qualification is available on our Accredited Qualification Unit Search.
Core Skills signposting
A Modern Apprenticeship for Procurement is now live and this SVQ is a mandatory component.
Information about delivery, assessment, quality assurance and support material
- Assessment strategy for SVQ 3 Procurement (155 KB) at SCQF Level 6 (445 KB)