Diploma in Maritime Studies: Workboats at SCQF level 5
The Diploma in Maritime Studies: Workboats at SCQF level 5 has been developed for learners who work, or would like to work, on a workboat assisting with activities such as steering and lookout, safe navigation, and operating and maintaining deck and engine room machinery.
Areas covered include:
- maritime employment
- environmental and health and safety practice
- maritime sector overview
- vessel ropework
- anchoring and mooring operations
- securing a vessel for passage
- vessel construction and stability
- contributing to workboat operations
- basic vessel engineering systems
- survival in the water during maritime emergencies
- vessel fire prevention and fire-fighting (STCW)
- emergency first aid in response to maritime accidents or medical emergencies
- communicate using equipment and visual means
- basic navigational watch-keeping
- control operation of survival craft and rescue boats
This diploma will develop the learner’s confidence and awareness of the skills that they have acquired which they can use for employment and/or further study.
This qualification is available through SQA approved centres.
Why deliver this qualification
The Diploma in Maritime Studies: Workboats at SCQF level 5 is a new course for the growing maritime sector.
Supported by the Scottish Government, this competence-based qualification is part of the Modern Apprenticeship framework in Maritime Occupations.
This qualification is based on the most current version of National Occupational Standards, defined by the Maritime Skills Alliance.
The diploma can be offered within a workplace environment.
The evidence demonstrating achievement of the qualification can be assessed within a workplace environment or, where simulation is used, within a realistic working environment.
Who does this qualification suit
This diploma is suitable for those who wish to have a career at sea, including:
- learners who may have just left school
- learners who have time spent with Sea Cadets or Sea Scouts
- individuals who are currently in employment and who wish to obtain a formal qualification
Entry is at the discretion of the centre.
Learners should be aware that they may need to pass medical entry requirements.
This SCQF level 5 award could provide progression to:
- an HNC/HND in Marine Engineering or Nautical Science or a related area
- MCA certification
- employment in the maritime sector, perhaps as a workboat deckhand, workboat mate, master or engineer
Centres with devolved authority for approval should use their own internal approval process.
Centres without devolved authority will have to come forward for approval and should contact SQA’s Business Development Team for guidance.
Assessors and verifiers must be able to meet SQA’s general requirements for technical/occupational competence as outlined in the Systems and Qualification Approval Guide.
How to assess
Assessment of this award will be through a series of theoretical and practical assessments or tasks. Some assessments will be carried out under supervised open-book conditions, others under supervised closed-book conditions.
The use of a training record book (TRB) forms part of the assessment. The completed TRB will be used as supporting evidence to demonstrate that the work-based elements of the units have been undertaken.
Where can you take this course?
Qualification content and delivery tools
Information about the qualification(s)
Group award code: GL2F 45
The Diploma in Maritime Studies: Workboats at SCQF level 5 consists of 13 mandatory Units. Please refer to the qualification structure for details on the units making up this qualification.
National Occupational Standards
Unit information for this qualification is available on our Accredited Qualification Unit Search.
This diploma is a mandatory component in the SCQF level 5 Modern Apprenticeship.
SQA also offers the following components of this apprenticeship:
- Pathway 1 Certificate in Maritime Studies: Able Seafarer/Tug Rating (Deck) at SCQF level 5
SQA Code: GE87 45; 45 credits
- Pathway 2 Diploma in Maritime Studies: Sea Fishing at SCQF level 5
SQA Code: GG10 45; minimum 52 credits, maximum 56
- Pathway 3 SVQ 2 in Port Operations at SCQF level 5
SQA Code: GJ6V 22; minimum 34 credits, maximum 63