Conveyancing end-point assessment (EPA)
SQA is approved by the Skills Funding Agency to deliver end-point assessment for the following apprenticeship standards:
- Conveyancing Technician (Level 4)
- Licensed Conveyancer (Level 6)
SQA are listed on the SFA Register of Apprentice Assessment Organisations (RoAAO).
Council for Licensed Conveyancers (CLC)
These apprenticeship standards are regulated and licensed through the Council for Licensed Conveyancers (CLC) who regulate CLC lawyers and entities in conveyancing provision, probate and other legal services.
Since 2015, SQA has been responsible for developing, quality assuring and certificating the revised qualifications in partnership with CLC. These qualifications, delivered by training centres, will form the on-programme qualification for the Apprenticeships in Conveyancing Technician and Licensed Conveyancer.
Conveyancing end-point assessment
An independent organisation must be involved in the end-point assessment of each apprentice so that all apprentices following the same standard are assessed consistently.
The final six months of each of the Conveyancing Apprenticeships culminates in an independent end-point assessment. This is an assessment of the knowledge, skills and behaviours that have been learnt throughout the Apprenticeship. Ensuring the apprentice meets the standard set by employers and that they are fully competent in the occupation.
This assessment is taken by apprentice candidates at the end of the on-programme phase of training when their employer (and their training provider) is satisfied that they have met the 'gateway' criteria to undertake the assessment.
Each of the Approaches to Assessment for Conveyancing Technician and Licensed Conveyancer detail how end-point assessment should be delivered by the approved Apprentice Assessment Organisation (AAO).
Part 1 - An online scenario test taking up to two hours and consisting of two conveyancing scenarios to accommodate variable expanse or scope of tasks.
Part 2 - Submission of a showcase of evidence, followed by a professional discussion. The showcase should contain evidence collected near the end of the apprenticeship. The showcase will form the basis of the professional discussion between the apprentice and the Assessment Organisation. The professional discussion will take up to one hour, it can be conducted face to face or using an electronic platform, or other digital means.
Independent end-point assessors appointed by SQA will assess Parts 1 and 2 (scenarios, showcase and professional discussion) to determine whether the apprentice meets the Standard and demonstrates a level of knowledge and professional competence commensurate with the responsibilities and accountability of their role.
Apprenticeship certificates are only awarded by the Education and Skills Funding Agency after the end-point assessment has been successfully completed by apprentice candidates.
Apprentice assessment organisation
As a registered apprentice assessment organisation, SQA will deliver end-point assessment for each apprentice candidate in Conveyancing standards, and will be responsible for:
- Developing the content of the EPA - test questions, project topics and interview scripts in line with the assessment plan.
- Agreeing the cost of the EPA with the employer within the parameters set by the assessment plan.
- The contract agreement with the lead training provider for payment.
- Checking and verifying that the apprentice has completed any prerequisites to EPA, including any mandatory qualifications.
- Conducting the EPA of apprentices in line with the assessment plan.
- Quality assuring delivery of the EPA, and ensure that all requirements are fulfilled as set out in the assessment plan.
- Adhering to the external quality assurance requirements of the assessment plan
- Ensuring the EPA is synoptic and independent, in line with the assessment plan
- Identifying and recording when the apprentice has passed the EPA.
- Applying for the Apprenticeship Certificate.
View the approved Assessment Standards and Assessment Plans for Conveyancing Technician and Licensed Conveyancer:
- Apprenticeship Standard for Conveyancing Technician
- Apprenticeship Standard for Licensed Conveyancer
- Approach to assessment for Conveyancing Technician
- Approach to assessment for Licensed Conveyancer