HNC/HND Additional Support Needs
The HNC Additional Support Needs: Supporting the Individual and the HND Additional Support Needs: Managing and Supporting the Services are industry-specific, specialised awards.
These qualifications are suitable for people working or intending to work with individuals of all ages who require additional support in their day to day lives, be it in education, work, care and/or recreation.
HNC/HND Additional Support Needs qualifications are the only nationally recognised and certificated advanced awards for the Additional Support Needs sector in Scotland.
Why deliver this qualification
The HNC Additional Support Needs: Supporting the Individual and the HND Additional Support Needs: Managing and Supporting the Services — offers candidates a range of benefits:
- Provide the skills, knowledge and capabilities needed for employment
- work placement experience
- progression to higher education
- enhanced career prospects
- achievement is certified and nationally recognised
Who does this qualification suit
The HNC is aimed at candidates who wish to enhance their skills while in employment, change career or start a career in the wide field of social services and education. e.g. Candidates may work or wish to work
- as an assistant within a mainstream or specialised school
- as an assistant in social service settings
- in a community setting
The HND is aimed at candidates who wish to develop their knowledge and skills, with a view to moving to a more senior or managerial role within their field, or progressing to Higher Education e.g.
- those working within social services such as day care centres, supported accommodation or respite care
- those applying for a promoted post such as senior support assistant, depute co-ordinator within a day service or head of a small voluntary project
- those seeking formal recognition for their first line managerial role or progression to Higher Education
Both awards prepare candidates to access a diverse range of progression routes to more advanced study or employment.
Candidates who have completed the HNC can progress to HND Additional Support Needs: Managing and Supporting the Services.
Candidates who have completed the HND may progress to study on a number of degree courses in Scotland and beyond.
Centres with devolved authority are eligible to seek approval through their own internal approval process. Centres without devolved approval status should complete and submit a Qualifications Approval Application Form (formerly called SA1) to request approval to deliver the Group Awards.
Assessors and verifiers must be able to meet SQA’s general requirements for technical/occupational competence
How to assess
Those undertaking the Course on a full time basis (i.e. not working in the ASN field) will, in discussion with the centre, spend time in an appropriate placement. The assessments for the award are varied and include both practical assessment and report writing e.g.
- case studies
- observation of candidates
- reflective reports
- short answer questions
In some Units it is written into the specification that the Unit can be assessed holistically thus reducing the assessment load. At all times, integration of assessment within Units and across Units is encouraged.