An External Verifier is responsible for external verification and qualification approval activities under the conditions, timescales and arrangements set by SQA.
The prime role is to participate in verification of qualifications in the subject area(s) concerned to ensure that standards are maintained.
These activities will be under the direction of the Senior External Verifier and staff from SQA’s Internal Assessment Delivery and Quality Assurance and Qualification Development directorates as appropriate.
Outline of duties
- Participate in central verification events, carry out external verification visits and/or participate in postal verification visits as required
- Participate in prior verification of centres’ internally devised instruments of assessment
- Participate in approval, post approval and development visits to centres
- Assist Internal Assessment Delivery and Quality Assurance staff with policy and subject specific enquiries from centres, and SQA officers
- Deliver and participate in external verifier training events
- Complete CPD and submit to SQA as required
- Additionally, External Verifiers may be asked to undertake the following activities. These activities will attract additional payments
- Act as a Vetter for internal assessment materials in the subject area concerned
- Participate in SQA organised events where External Verifier input is required
- Contribute to the Understanding Standards activities
Successful candidates must:
- Be able to demonstrate up-to-date subject knowledge and a high level of expertise in assessment across the range of courses, levels, qualification types, and the areas for which they are appointed. External Verifiers will be expected to have appropriate academic, vocational or professional qualifications or expertise in the same or closely related subject area for which they seek an appointment.
- Be able to demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills and be able to engage positively with all members of their team
- Be able to communicate confidently, effectively and professionally with their Senior Verifier, Head of Centre and /or SQA Co-ordinator and SQA staff both orally (at briefings and meetings) and in writing (reports)
- Have a home computer or laptop with broadband internet connection and a private e-mail address
Successful candidates should:
- Be able to work co-operatively and professionally with other centre staff and SQA staff
- Be able to demonstrate excellent organisational and administrative skills with and provide an attention to detail
- Have an in-depth understanding of all documentation, duties, tasks and procedures associated with the verification area for which they have responsibility
- Hold a current clean driving licence
- External Verifiers engaged in HN (work-based) and SVQ external verification will be expected to have achieved (D35 or V2) or be working towards achieving the V2 Unit Conduct External Quality assurance of the Assessment Process. Candidates with D35 must demonstrate that in their practice they are meeting the V2 standard.
Key Performance Measures for External Verifiers
Each year, on completion of the duties outlined in the External Verifier contract specification, the External Verifier will be measured against the following key performance measures and informed of the outcome in relation to their performance in that year.
- Complete External Verifier training
- Complete scheduled centre allocation of visits within conditions and timescales for SQA
- Complete scheduled central events within conditions and timescales for SQA where as appropriate
- Complete External Verifier reports as per SQA quality standard and within agreed timescale
- Positive engagement with all members of the team, SQA centre’s personnel and with all members of SQA staff
- Submit CPD record within agreed timescales where appropriate