The appointee contract guidelines aim to ensure that SQA operates a fair, consistent and transparent appointment procedure for all appointee contracts.
These guidelines apply to all appointment types.
- Appointee contract opportunities will be advertised on the SQA web site.
- Additional targeted emails will be sent to subject specific groups and SQA centre coordinators (as required).
- Appointee contract opportunities will be notified for a minimum of nine working days and span two weekends.
- Application forms must be completed by all applicants and where required, a reference must accompany the application form.
- Application forms are available on the SQA Appointee Management website.
- Applications will be considered against the relevant Selection Criteria.
4 Senior Appointee Roles (Principal Assessor, Principal Verifier, Senior Team Leader - Verification, Lead Verifier and Senior External Verifier)
- A Reference will be required for Senior Appointee roles and will accompany the application form.
- After the application date has lapsed the selection panel will carry out the leeting process of all applicants.
- The evidence presented by the applicant will be judged against the skills, knowledge and experience defined in the contract specification for the appointment.
- The selection process for Senior Appointee roles will be carried out by interview.
- Interview panels will be made up of two senior members of SQA staff.
- Panel members will be competent interviewers and will have undertaken training in SQA’s appointment procedure for appointees.
- The interview will be based on the competencies of the role and is an opportunity for the applicant to demonstrate suitability by providing evidence to support their application.
- Each application will be graded using the Selection Grading Form.
- On completion of the interviews the chairperson of the panel will inform Appointee Management of the successful applicant.
- Appointee Management will then contact the successful applicant to make the contract offer.
- Once the offer is confirmed the unsuccessful candidate/s will be notified.
5 All other Appointees
- A Reference will be required for successful applicants undertaking External Verifier and Visiting Assessor duties and these must accompany the application form.
- Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application by Appointee Management.
- The outcome will be one of the following:
- invited to join appropriate subject team
- invited to join reserve list for the subject team
- application declined
- SQA policy stipulates that an Enhanced Disclosure Scotland check (PVG) is required for appointee roles that involve contact with children and vulnerable adults.
- This check will be undertaken as part of the contractual process.
- This requirement does not apply to anyone who is registered with the General Teaching Council.
Guidelines Review Date: April 2015
Guidelines Owner: Head of Appointee Management