The appointee contract guidelines aim to ensure that SQA operates a fair, consistent and transparent appointment procedure for all appointee contracts.
These guidelines apply to all appointment types.
- Appointee contract opportunities will be advertised on the SQA web site.
- Additional targeted emails will be sent to subject specific groups and SQA centre coordinators (as required).
- Appointee contract opportunities will be notified for a minimum of nine working days and span two weekends.
- Application forms must be completed by all applicants and where required, a reference must accompany the application form.
- Application forms are available on the SQA Appointee Management website.
- Applications will be considered against the relevant Selection Criteria.
4 Senior Appointee Roles of Principal Assessor, Lead Verifier, Senior External Verifier/Principal Verifier and Senior Examiner
- A Reference will be required for Senior Appointee roles and will accompany the application form.
- After the application date has lapsed the selection panel will carry out the leeting process of all applicants.
- The evidence presented by the applicant will be judged against the skills, knowledge and experience defined in the contract specification for the appointment.
- The selection process for Senior Appointee roles will be carried out by interview.
- Interview panels will be made up of two senior members of SQA staff.
- Panel members will be competent interviewers and will have undertaken training in SQA’s appointment procedure for appointees.
- The interview will be based on the competencies of the role and is an opportunity for the applicant to demonstrate suitability by providing evidence to support their application.
- Each application will be graded using the Selection Grading Form.
- On completion of the interviews the chairperson of the panel will inform Appointee Management of the successful applicant.
- Appointee Management will then contact the successful applicant to make the contract offer.
- Once the offer is confirmed the unsuccessful candidate/s will be notified.
5 All other Appointees
A Reference will be required for successful applicants undertaking External Verifier and Visiting Assessor duties and these must accompany the application form.
Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application by Appointee Management.
The outcome will be one of the following:
- invited to join appropriate subject team
- invited to join reserve list for the subject team
- application declined
SQA policy stipulates that an Enhanced Disclosure Scotland check is required for appointee roles that involve contact with children and vulnerable adults.
This check will be undertaken as part of the contractual process.
- This requirement does not apply to anyone who is registered with the General Teaching Council.
Guidelines Review Date: July 2013
Guidelines Owner: Head of Appointee Management