Our National Qualifications in Physics give learners an insight into the underlying nature of our world and its place in the universe. From the sources of the energy we use, to the exploration of space, Physics covers a range of applications of the relationships that have been discovered through experiment and calculation.
Available at the following levels:
Physics common questions
- Physics common questions (95 KB)
Physics CPD event presentation
The following presentation was delivered at CPD events for National 3, National 4 and National 5 courses in session 2013/14. It can be used by Nominees to help cascade information to colleagues in their school, college or Local Authority. Equally, anyone delivering these new National Courses may find the contents of help in understanding the standards required.
- Physics CPD Presentation - Spring 2014 (2.38 MB)
Updates and announcements
- October 2016 subject update (281 KB)
- May 2016 subject update (203 KB)
- October 2015 subject update (316 KB)
- August 2015 subject update (98 KB)
- May 2015 subject update (207 KB)
- January 2015 subject update - Advanced Higher (504 KB)
- September 2014 subject update
- Special Edition Update June 2014 (152 KB)
- September 2013 update letter
Changes to assessment in National Courses
Following the Deputy First Minister’s announcement that units and unit assessments will be removed from National 5 to Advanced Higher courses, we are strengthening the course assessment to ensure it covers the full content of the course.
Units and unit assessments will be removed as followed:
- National 5 from 2017–18
- Higher from 2018–19
- Advanced Higher from 2019–20
Information for teachers has been posted on the National 5 Physics page.
- Understanding the next steps for session 2016-17 - National 3 (190 KB)
- Understanding the next steps for session 2016-17 - National 4 (235 KB)
- Understanding the next steps for session 2016-17 - National 5 (192 KB)
- Understanding the next steps for session 2016-17 - Higher (198 KB)
- Understanding the next steps for session 2016-17 - Advanced Higher (194 KB)