Our National Qualifications in History provide a broad range of flexible learning contexts covering Scottish, British and European and world history in medieval, early modern and modern time frames.
The Courses develop a breadth and depth of knowledge and understanding of the past, and provide opportunities to consider how political, social, economic and cultural history relates to the world of today.
Available at the following levels:
History common questions
- History common questions (151 KB)
History CPD Event Presentations
The following presentation was delivered at CPD events for National 3, National 4 and National 5 Courses during session 2013/14. It can be used by Nominees to help cascade information to colleagues in their school, college or Local Authority. Equally, anyone delivering these new National Courses may find the contents of help in understanding the standards required.
- History CPD Presentation - Spring 2014 (2.02 MB)
The following document was also referred to at the event:
Updates and announcements
- October 2016 subject update (292 KB)
- May 2016 subject update (201 KB)
- October 2015 subject update (329 KB)
- May 2015 subject update (199 KB)
- January 2015 subject update - Advanced Higher (163 KB)
- History Subject Update September 2014 (328 KB)
- Special Edition Update June 2014 (152 KB)
- September 2013 update letter
Changes to assessment in National Courses
Following the Deputy First Minister’s announcement that units and unit assessments will be removed from National 5 to Advanced Higher courses, we are strengthening the course assessment to ensure it covers the full content of the course.
Units and unit assessments will be removed as followed:
- National 5 from 2017–18
- Higher from 2018–19
- Advanced Higher from 2019–20
Information for teachers has been posted on the National 5 History page.