Higher Childcare and Development
The Higher Childcare and Development Course enables learners to understand child development and factors that influence development from pre-birth to 16.
Through this Course, learners develop their understanding of the theories of development and the way these are applied to working with children and young people. They develop awareness of initiatives and strategies used to inform current childhood practice, and an awareness of current childhood practice and services. They also develop their understanding of the role and responsibilities of professionals and others in contributing to the development of children and young people.
Updates and announcements
Reminder of threshold approach that can be applied to unit assessments
As we outlined in the Subject Review Report for Childcare and Development that was published in May 2016, a threshold approach can now be applied to the judgement of assessment standards. If a candidate successfully meets the requirements indicated below, they will be judged to have passed the unit and no further re-assessment will be required.
- Child Development unit — candidates do not need to be re-assessed for assessment standard 1.4 if they do not meet the requirements.
- Child Development: Theory unit — all assessment standards must be achieved.
- Services for Children and Young People unit — candidates do not need to be re-assessed for assessment standard 1.4 if they do not meet the requirements. Further commentary has also been provided in the unit assessment support pack to clarify the requirements for assessment standard 1.1.
The above thresholds have been put in place to reduce the volume of re-assessment where required. Candidates must still be given the opportunity to meet all assessment standards in preparation for course assessment.
This explains the overall structure of the Course, including its purpose and aims and information on the skills, knowledge and understanding that will be developed.
Course Assessment Specification
This explains the structure of the Course assessment; including the type and method of assessment. It also includes information on Course coverage.
These provide an outline of what each Unit will cover within the Course and detail the Outcomes and Assessment Standards.
Advice and guidance
Course and Unit Support Notes
These provide advice and guidance for teachers/lecturers on learning, teaching and assessment within the Course and its Units.
The following document contains the Course Support Notes and the Unit Support Notes for this Course. They can be printed together or separately.
Past Papers and Marking Instructions
General assessment information provides instructions for the conduct of coursework, an overview of the assessment task, evidence to be gathered and general marking instructions.
Coursework assessment tasks provide the live assessment task, including marking instructions and instructions for candidates. Teachers/lecturers can access these confidential documents through their SQA Co-ordinator.
Information on the production and submission of SQA-assessed coursework for National 5, Higher and Advanced Higher.
Unit Assessment Support
These documents contain details of Unit assessment task(s), show approaches to gathering evidence and how the evidence can be judged against the Outcomes and Assessment Standards. Teachers/lecturers can arrange access to these confidential documents through their SQA Co-ordinator.
Understanding Standards materials
We are publishing examples of candidate evidence with commentaries as part of our Understanding Standards programme. These materials are for teachers and lecturers to help them develop their understanding of the standards required for assessment. As these materials become available, they are being published in the following locations:
- Available from our secure website Materials relating to Unit assessment, internally assessed components of Course assessment, and externally assessed components of Course assessment which are subject to visiting assessment. Teachers and lecturers can arrange access to these materials through their SQA Co-ordinator.
- Available from our Understanding Standards website Materials relating to externally assessed components of Course assessment, with the exception of those subject to visiting assessment.
More information on our Understanding Standards programme, can be found on our Understanding Standards page.