HND Childhood Practice at SCQF level 8
The HND Childhood Practice at SCQF level 8 develops the knowledge and practice skills of candidates in order that they can more effectively contribute to the development of the profession and to high quality early years, childcare and playwork services.
Key themes include: values, early intervention, social inclusion and equality, confident individuals, responsible citizens, integrated services and development of leadership.
This qualification is available through colleges and training providers.
Why deliver this qualification
The HND Childhood Practice at SCQF level 8 can be customised to meet candidate and employers needs — see the pathways under the Structure section.
The qualification can be delivered on a full-time, full-time (fast track), day release, part-time evening, and open learning basis. A combination of delivery modes is recommended.
Who does this qualification suit
The main target group for the HND is individuals who have achieved a practitioner qualification at SCQF level 7 or equivalent.
This HND is an award for people wishing to advance their practice and potentially progress onto SCQF level 9 qualifications.
Candidates should be working in, or have access to, a childcare, early years or playwork setting and have an appropriate SCQF level 7 award.
If candidates access this award at SCQF level 7 it is recommended that they select a route that will allow them to register at practitioner level with the SSSC, for example by undertaking either Route 1, Route 2 or Route 3.
It is recommended that candidates accessing the SCQF level 8 component of this HND should hold a practitioner qualification as prescribed by the SSSC, for example the HNC Early Education and Childcare, SVQ level 3 Children’s Care Learning and Development (CCLD).
Although no formal articulation pathway has been confirmed with any higher education institution (HEI), it is likely that the HND Childhood Practice will articulate with BA Childhood Practice programmes.
On completion of the HND Childhood Practice, candidates will be able to register with the Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC) at practitioner level if they have undertaken Route 1, Route 2 or Route 3. Links to PDA level 9 Childhood Practice.
Centres with devolved authority are eligible to seek approval through their own internal approval process.
Centres without devolved authority will have to come forward for approval and should contact the Business Development Team for guidance in completing the combined CA1/SA1 form.
Assessors and verifiers must be able to meet SQA’s general requirements for technical/occupational competence.
How to assess
The approach to delivery and assessment in this new qualification is holistic and integrative preferring to follow logical learning and assessment themes rather than unitised.
Candidates will be assessed in relation to a Graded Unit and two SVQ Level 4 CCLD or Playwork Units as identified in the Group Award framework.
Where can you take this course?
|Title:||HND Childhood Practice|
|Date:||Version 05 (May 2015)|
|Download:||HND Childhood Practice Arrangements Document (8 MB)|
Group Award Specifications
|Title:||HND Childhood Practice|
|Download:||HND Childhood Practice Framework Document (310 KB)|
Internal Assessment Reports
- 2016 Internal Assessment Report (152 KB)
Unit(s) and delivery tools
Group Award code: G97E 16 (240 SCQF credit points)
SCQF level: 8
There are five pathways within this framework to choose from. Candidates should follow the route most appropriate to them, depending on their starting point and existing qualifications, if any.
HND Childhood Practice — Overview of main pathways
Route 1 — for candidates undertaking the HNC and HND consecutively Route 2 — for candidates in possession of a relevant HNC Route 3 — for candidates in possession of a relevant SVQ Route 4 — for candidates in possession of a relevant HNC and PDA Route 5 — for candidates in possession of a relevant SVQ and PDA
The routes — and options available within each — can be found in the Arrangements document. (7.57 MB)
- F56X 35 - Childhood Practice & Social Services: Professional Development and Practice (250 KB)
- F56V 35 - Childhood Practice and Social Services: Applied Sociology (235 KB)
- F56T 35 - Childhood Practice and Social Services: Applied Psychology (248 KB)
- F5BN 35 - Childhood Practice and Social Services: Legislative, Policy and Protection Contexts (224 KB)
- F56W 35 - Childhood Practice and Social Services: Assessment, Planning, Implementation and Evaluation of Professional Practice (309 KB)
- F5LN 35 - Childhood Practice: Graded Unit 3 (250 KB)
- F56Y 35 - Childhood Practice and Social Services: Developing Leadership (270 KB)
- DF4Y 34 - Working in an Early Education and Childcare Setting (225 KB)
- F3S4 34 - Children and Young People’s Rights: Provision, Protection and Participation (102 KB)
- F3S9 34 - Theoretical Approaches to Development and Learning (70 KB)
- F290 34 - Early Education and Childcare: Graded Unit 1 (99 KB)
- DT1L 04 - Support policies, procedures and practices to safeguard children and ensure their inclusion and well-being (206 KB)
- DT1M 04 - Support programmes for the promotion of children’s development (213 KB)
- DT1C 04 - Support and evaluate the curriculum for children’s early learning (161 KB)
- DF53 34 - Facilitating Playwork Opportunities (203 KB)
- F3S3 34 - Curriculum and Assessment in an Early Years and Childcare Setting (80 KB)
- DF54 34 - Understanding and Supporting Children’s Behaviour (269 KB)
- DF55 34 - Children and Young People with Additional Support Needs (185 KB)
- DF56 34 - Contemporary Issues for Children and Families (200 KB)
- DF57 34 - Strategies and Initiatives to Support Children’s Health and Wellbeing (224 KB)
- DF58 34 - Promoting Language, Literacy and Numeracy in Early Education and Childcare (220 KB)
- DG5D 35 - Team Working in Care Settings (218 KB)
- DH2G 34 - Supporting Children Learning Through an Additional Language (198 KB)
- DE3R 34 - Personal Development Planning (255 KB)
- DE1K 33 - Workplace Communication in English (191 KB)
- DF59 34 - Working with Children 0-3 Years (235 KB)
- DF5A 34 - Working with Children 3-5 Years (248 KB)
- DF5C 34 - Working with Children 5-8 Years (221 KB)
- DF5D 34 - Working with Children 8-12 Years (207 KB)
- DN1H 35 - Managing Quality in Early Education and Childcare Settings (287 KB)
- F56A 35 - Integrated Working and Collaborative Practice (222 KB)
- F56B 35 - Developing Professional Childhood Practice (212 KB)
- DN89 35 - Manage a Quality Curriculum
- DN1L 35 - Managing the Implementation of the Values and Principles of Playwork (219 KB)
- DN88 35 - Sociology of Childhood (215 KB)
- DF58 34 - Promoting Language, Literacy and Numeracy in Early Education and Childcare
- DN86 35 - International Perspectives in Early Education and Childcare (205 KB)
- F570 35 - Childhood Practice: Graded Unit 2 (228 KB)
- F2VB 34 - Learning and the Learning Environment (95 KB)
- F2VD 34 - Responsibility for Developing Quality Learning (95 KB)
- DV0K 35 - Supporting and Managing the Protection of Individual (225 KB)