National 5 Health and Food Technology
The National 5 Health and Food Technology Course enables learners to develop knowledge and understanding of the relationships between health, food and nutrition, and to make informed food and consumer choices. Learners develop practical and technological skills and apply safe and hygienic practices in practical food preparation.
Updates and announcements
- May 2016 subject update (221 KB)
- October 2015 subject update (289 KB)
- August 2015 subject update (National 3 - Higher) (100 KB)
- May 2015 subject update (139 KB)
- January 2015 subject update (Advanced Higher) (471 KB)
- September 2014 subject update (367 KB)
- Special Edition Update June 2014 (152 KB)
- September 2013 update letter (177 KB)
National 5 Health and Food Technology webinar
We are running a webinar on the National 5 Health and Food Technology assignment on Wednesday 19 October from 16:30 - 17:30. The webinar will be delivered by Mara Lindsay, Subject Implementation Manager for Health and Food Technology, and will focus on preparing candidates for the National 5 assignment. Each section within the assignment will be considered, and advice on how to support candidates will be offered throughout. There will be opportunities to ask questions during the webinar.
To book on to the webinar, visit our online events booking system.
This explains the overall structure of the Course, including its purpose and aims and information on the skills, knowledge and understanding that will be developed.
Course Assessment Specification
This explains the structure of the Course assessment; including the type and method of assessment. It also includes information on Course coverage.
These provide an outline of what each Unit will cover within the Course and detail the Outcomes and Assessment Standards.
Advice and guidance
Course and Unit Support Notes
These provide advice and guidance for teachers/lecturers on learning, teaching and assessment within the Course and its Units.
The following document contains the Course Support Notes and the Unit Support Notes for this Course. They can be printed together or separately.
Past Papers and Marking Instructions
Specimen and Exemplar Question Papers and Marking Instructions
These illustrate the standard, structure and requirements of the question papers learners will sit. These also include marking instructions.
- Health and Food Technology Specimen Question Paper National 5
- Guidance on the use of past paper questions for National 5 Health and Food Technology
Hodder Education have produced sets of additional model papers. These include copies of the SQA specimen question papers and are available to buy now.
National Parent Forum Scotland have also produced their Revision in a Nutshell series to help learners to prepare for new National 5 examinations.
General assessment information provides instructions for the conduct of coursework, an overview of the assessment task, evidence to be gathered and general marking instructions.
Coursework assessment tasks provide the live assessment task, including marking instructions and instructions for candidates. Teachers/lecturers can access these confidential documents through their SQA Co-ordinator.
Information on the production and submission of SQA-assessed coursework for National 5, Higher and Advanced Higher.
Unit Assessment Support
These documents contain details of Unit assessment task(s), show approaches to gathering evidence and how the evidence can be judged against the Outcomes and Assessment Standards. Teachers/lecturers can arrange access to these confidential documents through their SQA Co-ordinator.
Understanding Standards materials
We are publishing examples of candidate evidence with commentaries as part of our Understanding Standards programme. These materials are for teachers and lecturers to help them develop their understanding of the standards required for assessment. As these materials become available, they are being published in the following locations:
- Available from our secure website Materials relating to Unit assessment, internally assessed components of Course assessment, and externally assessed components of Course assessment which are subject to visiting assessment. Teachers and lecturers can arrange access to these materials through their SQA Co-ordinator.
- Available from our Understanding Standards website Materials relating to externally assessed components of Course assessment, with the exception of those subject to visiting assessment.
More information on our Understanding Standards programme, can be found on our Understanding Standards page.
Verification and Course Reports
There was no Round 2 verification activity at this level in 2016.
- 2014 National 5 Health and Food Technology Course Report
- Health and Food Technology: Quality Assurance - external verification
- Health and Food Technology Verification Key Message
- Health and Food Technology Verification Key Messages Round 1
- 2015 National 5 Health and Food Technology Course Report
- Health and Food Technology Verification Key Messages
- Health & Food Technology Verification Key Messages Round 1