Health and Food Technology
Our Health and Food Technology qualifications provide opportunities to study the relationships between health, nutrition, the functional properties of food, lifestyle choices and consumer issues. These Courses develop an awareness of informed food and dietary choices that can have a positive effect on the health of learners and enable them to advise others. Learners also develop a range of skills and applications of food preparation techniques.
Available at the following levels:
Updates and announcements
- October 2016 subject update (329 KB)
- May 2016 subject update (221 KB)
- October 2015 subject update (289 KB)
- August 2015 subject update (National 3 - Higher) (100 KB)
- May 2015 subject update (139 KB)
- January 2015 subject update (Advanced Higher) (471 KB)
- September 2014 subject update (367 KB)
- Special Edition Update June 2014 (152 KB)
- September 2013 update letter (177 KB)
British Nutrition Foundation Annual Awards
The British Nutrition Foundation, a charity who provides impartial, evidence-based information on food and nutrition, gives out awards annually for two of our National Courses - National 5 and Advanced Higher Health and Food Technology.
BNF's Patron, Princess Anne, handed out this year's awards at a ceremony in London. The winners were:
Changes to assessment in National Courses
Following the Deputy First Minister’s announcement that units and unit assessments will be removed from National 5 to Advanced Higher courses, we are strengthening the course assessment to ensure it covers the full content of the course.
Units and unit assessments will be removed as followed:
- National 5 from 2017–18
- Higher from 2018–19
- Advanced Higher from 2019–20
Information for teachers has been posted on the National 5 Health and Food Technology page.