National 5 Environmental Science
The National 5 Environmental Science Course enables learners to develop a scientific understanding of environmental issues. Learners will investigate key areas of the living environment, such as: biodiversity and interdependence; resource issues in the atmosphere, hydrosphere, geosphere and biosphere; and sustainability and sustainable development.
Updates and announcements
Change to Environmental Science Understanding Standards events
The Understanding Standards event for Higher Environmental Science (3 November) has been cancelled. There will now be a combined Understanding Standards event for National 5 and Higher Environmental Science on 10 November in Stirling.
Delegates who booked a place at the Higher event will be notified and offered a place at the event on 10 November instead.
For more information and to book a place, please visit www.sqa.org.uk/nqevents
This explains the overall structure of the Course, including its purpose and aims and information on the skills, knowledge and understanding that will be developed.
- N5 Environmental Science Course Specification
Course Assessment Specification
This explains the structure of the Course assessment; including the type and method of assessment. It also includes information on Course coverage.
These provide an outline of what each Unit will cover within the Course and detail the Outcomes and Assessment Standards.
- Environmental Science: Living Environment (National 5) Unit Specification
- Environmental Science: Sustainability (National 5) Unit Specification
- Environmental Science: Earth's Resources (National 5) Unit Specification
Advice and guidance
Course and Unit Support Notes
These provide advice and guidance for teachers/lecturers on learning, teaching and assessment within the Course and its Units.
The following document contains the Course Support Notes and the Unit Support Notes for this Course. They can be printed together or separately.
Past Papers and Marking Instructions
Specimen and Exemplar Question Papers and Marking Instructions
These illustrate the standard, structure and requirements of the question papers learners will sit. These also include marking instructions.
General assessment information provides instructions for the conduct of coursework, an overview of the assessment task, evidence to be gathered and general marking instructions.
Coursework assessment tasks provide the live assessment task, including marking instructions and instructions for candidates. Teachers/lecturers can access these confidential documents through their SQA Co-ordinator.
Information on the production and submission of SQA-assessed coursework for National 5, Higher and Advanced Higher.
Unit Assessment Support
These documents contain details of Unit assessment task(s), show approaches to gathering evidence and how the evidence can be judged against the Outcomes and Assessment Standards. Teachers/lecturers can arrange access to these confidential documents through their SQA Co-ordinator.
Understanding Standards materials
We are publishing examples of candidate evidence with commentaries as part of our Understanding Standards programme. These materials are for teachers and lecturers to help them develop their understanding of the standards required for assessment. As these materials become available, they are being published in the following locations:
- Available from our secure website Materials relating to Unit assessment, internally assessed components of Course assessment, and externally assessed components of Course assessment which are subject to visiting assessment. Teachers and lecturers can arrange access to these materials through their SQA Co-ordinator.
- Available from our Understanding Standards website Materials relating to externally assessed components of Course assessment, with the exception of those subject to visiting assessment.
More information on our Understanding Standards programme, can be found on our Understanding Standards page.
Verification and Course Reports
There was no verification activity for this subject for Round 1 of verification in 2015, therefore there are no subject-specific Verification Key Messages available at this stage. However, Generic Verification Key Messages are available which may be of interest to you. Subject-specific Verification Key Messages for this subject should be available following completion of Round 2 verification.
- Environmental Science Verification Key Message
- Environmental Science Verification Key Messages Round 1
- 2016 National 5 Environmental Science Course Report