National 4 Hospitality: Practical Cookery
The National 4 Hospitality: Practical Cookery Course enhances learners’ personal effectiveness in cookery and provides a set of skills for those who wish to progress to further study in the hospitality context.
Updates and announcements
Understanding Standards events for Hospitality: Practical Cookery now cancelled
The Understanding Standards events for National 4 and National 5 Hospitality: Practical Cookery have now been cancelled. Delegates who booked places at the events have been notified.
Candidate evidence and commentary materials produced for the events will be published online for you to access and we will provide further details when these are available.
Hospitality: Practical Cookery webinars
We are running online webinars for Hospitality: Practical Cookery on the following dates:
- 24 November 2016 (16:30 - 17:30): National 5 Practical Activity
- 14 December 2016 (16:30 - 17:30): Preparing for verification events (combined webinar with Hospitality: Practical Cake Craft and Health and Food Technology)
- 2 February 2017 (16:30 - 17:30): Preparing for visiting verification
To book on to these webinars, please use our online events booking system.
This explains the overall structure of the Course, including its purpose and aims and information on the skills, knowledge and understanding that will be developed.
These provide an outline of what each Unit will cover within the Course and detail the Outcomes and Assessment Standards.
Added Value Unit Specification
These define the mandatory requirements for the Added Value Unit, including the Outcomes and Assessment Standards.
They also include the further mandatory information on Course coverage for the National 4 Course and include information on the assessment method to be used and the conditions of assessment.
Advice and guidance
Course and Unit Support Notes
These provide advice and guidance for teachers/lecturers on learning, teaching and assessment within the Course and its Units.
Past Papers and Marking Instructions
Added Value Unit Assessment
The Hospitality: Practical Cookery Added Value Unit assessment is a practical activity. It is supported by SQA-devised recipes, so centres should not normally make any changes to the assessment, in which candidates plan, prepare and serve a two-course meal according to given recipes, safely and hygienically.
Centres can choose from a bank of these assessments, designed to suit a wide range of requirements, available from September 2013. Centres can access the assessments through their SQA Co-ordinator.
As with all SQA Unit assessments, Added Value Unit assessments must be internally verified by centres.
Unit Assessment Support
These documents contain details of Unit assessment task(s), show approaches to gathering evidence and how the evidence can be judged against the Outcomes and Assessment Standards. Teachers/lecturers can arrange access to these confidential documents through their SQA Co-ordinator.
Understanding Standards materials
We are publishing examples of candidate evidence with commentaries as part of our Understanding Standards programme. These materials are for teachers and lecturers to help them develop their understanding of the standards required for assessment. As these materials become available, they are being published in the following locations:
- Available from our secure website Materials relating to Unit assessment, internally assessed components of Course assessment, and externally assessed components of Course assessment which are subject to visiting assessment. Teachers and lecturers can arrange access to these materials through their SQA Co-ordinator.
- Available from our Understanding Standards website Materials relating to externally assessed components of Course assessment, with the exception of those subject to visiting assessment.
More information on our Understanding Standards programme, can be found on our Understanding Standards page.
Verification and Course Reports
- Practical Cookery Verification Key Message
- Practical Cookery Verification Key Messages
- Practical Cookery Verification Key Messages Round 1
- Hospitality Practical Cookery Verification Key Messages Round 2