National 5 Hospitality: Practical Cookery
The National 5 Hospitality: Practical Cookery Course further enhances learners’ personal effectiveness in cookery and provides a set of skills for those who wish to progress to further study in the hospitality context.
Updates and announcements
Changes to assessment in the National 5 course from session 2017-18
Following the Deputy First Minister’s announcement that units and unit assessments will be removed from National 5 to Advanced Higher courses, we are strengthening the course assessment to ensure it covers the full content of the course.
The following summary provides a quick look at what is needed to strengthen the course assessment in your National 5 course. These changes will take effect from session 2017-18 onwards. More detailed information will be provided in the revised Course Specifications, which will be available by the end of April 2017.
Changes to coursework:
The practical activity will continue to be assessed across three stages. Stage 1 will be completed in centres and submitted to SQA for external marking. Stages 2 and 3 will be internally marked and subject to visiting verification.
The practical activity will be worth 100 marks and will contribute to 75% of the course assessment.
New exam component:
A new question paper will be introduced that will be worth around 30 marks and will contribute to 25% of the course assessment. It will be externally assessed by SQA.
We will confirm the number of marks by the end of April 2017.
Reasons for these changes:
The new exam will assess the knowledge and understanding that is currently assessed in the units.
Scaling will be applied to achieve the following weightings: practical activity 75% and question paper 25%.
This explains the overall structure of the Course, including its purpose and aims and information on the skills, knowledge and understanding that will be developed.
Course Assessment Specification
This explains the structure of the Course assessment; including the type and method of assessment. It also includes information on Course coverage.
These provide an outline of what each Unit will cover within the Course and detail the Outcomes and Assessment Standards.
Advice and guidance
Course and Unit Support Notes
These provide advice and guidance for teachers/lecturers on learning, teaching and assessment within the Course and its Units.
The following document contains the Course Support Notes and the Unit Support Notes for this Course. They can be printed together or separately.
Past Papers and Marking Instructions
General assessment information provides instructions for the conduct of coursework, an overview of the assessment task, evidence to be gathered and general marking instructions.
Coursework assessment tasks provide the live assessment task, including marking instructions and instructions for candidates. Teachers/lecturers can access these confidential documents through their SQA Co-ordinator.
Unit Assessment Support
These documents contain details of Unit assessment task(s), show approaches to gathering evidence and how the evidence can be judged against the Outcomes and Assessment Standards. Teachers/lecturers can arrange access to these confidential documents through their SQA Co-ordinator.
Understanding Standards materials
We are publishing examples of candidate evidence with commentaries as part of our Understanding Standards programme. These materials are for teachers and lecturers to help them develop their understanding of the standards required for assessment. As these materials become available, they are being published in the following locations:
- Available from our secure website Materials relating to Unit assessment, internally assessed components of Course assessment, and externally assessed components of Course assessment which are subject to visiting assessment. Teachers and lecturers can arrange access to these materials through their SQA Co-ordinator.
- Available from our Understanding Standards website Materials relating to externally assessed components of Course assessment, with the exception of those subject to visiting assessment.
More information on our Understanding Standards programme, can be found on our Understanding Standards page.
Verification and Course Reports
- Hospitality Practical Cookery Course Report 2014
- Practical Cookery Verification Key Message July 2014
- Hospitality: Practical Cookery: Quality Assurance - external verification
- Practical Cookery Verification Key Messages
- 2015 National 5 Hospitality: Practical Cookery Course Report
- 2016 National 5 Hospitality: Practical Cookery Course Report
- Practical Cookery Verification Key Messages
- Practical Cookery Verification Key Messages Round 1