National 5 Practical Woodworking
The National 5 Practical Woodworking Course enables learners to gain skills in woodworking techniques and in measuring and marking out timber sections and sheet materials. Learners develop safe working practices in workshop environments, practical creativity and problem-solving skills, and an understanding of sustainability issues in a practical woodworking context.
Updates and announcements
Understanding Standards event cancelled
The Understanding Standards event for National 5 Practical Woodworking and Practical Metalworking has been cancelled. Delegates who booked places at the event have been notified of this.
Candidate evidence and commentaries produced for the event will be published online for you to access,and we will provide further details when they are available.
For more information on the changes to Understanding Standards events, visit www.sqa.org.uk/nqevents
This explains the overall structure of the Course, including its purpose and aims and information on the skills, knowledge and understanding that will be developed.
Course Assessment Specification
This explains the structure of the Course assessment; including the type and method of assessment. It also includes information on Course coverage.
- N5 Practical Woodworking Course Assessment Specification session 2015/2016
- N5 Practical Woodworking Course Assessment Specification session 2016/2017
- N5 Practical Woodworking Course Assessment Specification session 2016/2017 comparison
The comparison document illustrates the additional information provided in the updated version compared with the previous version.
These provide an outline of what each Unit will cover within the Course and detail the Outcomes and Assessment Standards.
- Practical Woodworking: Flatframe Construction (National 5) Unit Specification
- Practical Woodworking: Machining and Finishing (National 5) Unit Specification
- Practical Woodworking: Carcase Construction (National 5) Unit Specification
Advice and guidance
Course and Unit Support Notes
These provide advice and guidance for teachers/lecturers on learning, teaching and assessment within the Course and its Units.
The following document contains the Course Support Notes and the Unit Support Notes for this Course. They can be printed together or separately.
Past Papers and Marking Instructions
General assessment information provides instructions for the conduct of coursework, an overview of the assessment task, evidence to be gathered and general marking instructions.
Coursework assessment tasks provide the live assessment task, including marking instructions and instructions for candidates. Teachers/lecturers can access these confidential documents through their SQA Co-ordinator.
Unit Assessment Support
These documents contain details of Unit assessment task(s), show approaches to gathering evidence and how the evidence can be judged against the Outcomes and Assessment Standards. Teachers/lecturers can arrange access to these confidential documents through their SQA Co-ordinator.
Understanding Standards materials
We are publishing examples of candidate evidence with commentaries as part of our Understanding Standards programme. These materials are for teachers and lecturers to help them develop their understanding of the standards required for assessment. As these materials become available, they are being published in the following locations:
- Available from our secure website Materials relating to Unit assessment, internally assessed components of Course assessment, and externally assessed components of Course assessment which are subject to visiting assessment. Teachers and lecturers can arrange access to these materials through their SQA Co-ordinator.
- Available from our Understanding Standards website Materials relating to externally assessed components of Course assessment, with the exception of those subject to visiting assessment.
More information on our Understanding Standards programme, can be found on our Understanding Standards page.
Verification and Course Reports
- Practical Technologies Verification Key Messages
- Practical Craft Skills Verification Key Messages Round 1
- Practical Craft Skills Verification Key Messages
- Practical Woodworking Verification Key Messages Round 1
- Practical Woodworking Verification Key Messages Round 2
- 2016 National 5 Practical Woodworking Course Report