Higher Administration and IT
The Higher Administration and IT Course develops learners' advanced administrative and IT skills for processing and managing information, and for communicating complex information effectively. The Course enables learners to contribute to the effective functioning of organisations through supervisory administrative positions.
Updates and announcements
Reminder of threshold for assessment standards in units for session 2016-17
Please remember that, as previously detailed in the Administration and IT Review Report, we have applied a threshold to the judgement of assessment standards in Higher Administration and IT units for session 2016-17. The thresholds are as follows:
- Communication in Administration — 2 out of 3 assessment standards.
- IT Solutions for Administrators — 6 out of 8 assessment standards.
- Administrative Theory and Practice — 5 out of 6 assessment standards.
If a candidate successfully meets the specified number of assessment standards they will be judged to have passed the unit overall and no further re-assessment will be required.
Please note that the above thresholds have been put in place to reduce the volume of re-assessment, where required. Candidates should still be given the opportunity to meet all of the assessment standards for each unit, particularly in preparation for course assessment.
This explains the overall structure of the Course, including its purpose and aims and information on the skills, knowledge and understanding that will be developed.
Course Assessment Specification
This explains the structure of the Course assessment; including the type and method of assessment. It also includes information on Course coverage.
These provide an outline of what each Unit will cover within the Course and detail the Outcomes and Assessment Standards.
Advice and guidance
Course and Unit Support Notes
These provide advice and guidance for teachers/lecturers on learning, teaching and assessment within the Course and its Units.
The following document contains the Course Support Notes and the Unit Support Notes for this Course. They can be printed together or separately.
Past Papers and Marking Instructions
Specimen Question Papers and Marking Instructions
These illustrate the standard, structure and requirements of the question papers learners will sit. These also include marking instructions.
- Higher Administration and IT Exemplar Question Paper
- Higher Administration and IT Specimen Question Paper
The National Parent Forum of Scotland (NPFS) have also published Higher Revision in a Nutshell documents to help learners prepare for Higher exams.
General assessment information provides instructions for the conduct of coursework, an overview of the assessment task, evidence to be gathered and general marking instructions.
Coursework assessment tasks provide the live assessment task, including marking instructions and instructions for candidates. Teachers/lecturers can access these confidential documents through their SQA Co-ordinator.
Information on the production and submission of SQA-assessed coursework for National 5, Higher and Advanced Higher.
Unit Assessment Support
These documents contain details of Unit assessment task(s), show approaches to gathering evidence and how the evidence can be judged against the Outcomes and Assessment Standards. Teachers/lecturers can arrange access to these confidential documents through their SQA Co-ordinator.
Understanding Standards materials
We are publishing examples of candidate evidence with commentaries as part of our Understanding Standards programme. These materials are for teachers and lecturers to help them develop their understanding of the standards required for assessment. As these materials become available, they are being published in the following locations:
- Available from our secure website Materials relating to Unit assessment, internally assessed components of Course assessment, and externally assessed components of Course assessment which are subject to visiting assessment. Teachers and lecturers can arrange access to these materials through their SQA Co-ordinator.
- Available from our Understanding Standards website Materials relating to externally assessed components of Course assessment, with the exception of those subject to visiting assessment.
More information on our Understanding Standards programme, can be found on our Understanding Standards page.
Verification and Course Reports
There was no Round 2 verification activity at this level in 2016.
- Administration and IT: Quality Assurance - external verification
- 2015 Higher Administration and IT Course Report
- Admin and IT Verification Key Messages