Warehousing and Logistics
Welcome to the subject homepage for SVQs in Warehousing and Logistics.
On this subject homepage, you will find information relating to the structure of each award and support materials. We hope that you find this information interesting and useful.
Important information: As of 1 September 2016, all SVQs with an established SCQF level no longer include the SVQ level in their titles. Please note that our web pages and documents will gradually be updated over time as the SVQs are reviewed, so may still contain the existing titles. More information on SCQF levels can be found on our SCQF web page.
News and Announcements
The following reaccredited SVQs are available from 1st October 2012:
- SVQ 2 Warehousing and Storage - GF9C 22
- SVQ 2 Warehousing and Storage Support Operations - GF9A 22
- SVQ 3 Logistics Operations - GF9E 23
If you have been an active centre with these SVQs you will receive like-for-like automatic approval, on completion of the Assessment Strategy declaration form.
SQA have also been accredited for the new SVQ 3 Warehousing and Storage - GF9D 23, which is accredited from 1 October 2012. Learn more about the Approval Process.
All four of these SVQs have been accredited until 31 August 2017.
Modern Apprenticeship in Freight Logistics
The Modern Apprenticeship Group has approved the Modern Apprenticeship (MA) in Freight Logistics. This MA is available only in Scotland. Please note that this now incorporates a range of SVQs in the sector. From November 2012 it no longer includes SQA’s NPA in Supply Chain Operations as a mandatory component, however the Sector Skills Council strongly recommends the NPA for new entrants to the logistics sector. More details on the MA can be accessed from the following link:
National Progression Awards (NPAs)
There are currently two NPAs in the Supply Chain and Logistics sector:
- NPA in Supply Chain Operations at SCQF level 5 (G93X 45)
- NPA in Food Safety Logistics at SCQF level 5 (GA17 45)
More information can be found at NQGA Supply Chain/Logistics and Transport
Where can you take this course?
Qualification content and delivery tools
Information about the qualification(s)
National Occupational Standards
Unit information for this qualification is available on our Accredited Qualification Unit Search.
Internal Assessment Reports
Information about delivery, assessment, quality assurance, and support material
Logistics underpins virtually all sectors of industry – ie, any organisation that moves, handles or stores goods or materials makes direct use of the logistics function. Examples of industry supply chains that are supported by logistics include:
- Food & Drink
- Chemicals & Petroleum
- Electronics & Electrical
- Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare
- Paper & Printing
- Clothing & Footwear
- Furniture & Furnishings
The SVQ in Warehousing and Storage and Logistics Operations can therefore be used to enhance the effectiveness of organisations across many sectors by developing knowledge and understanding of wide range of logistics skills and operations including:
- SVQs in Warehousing and Storage level 2 (GF9C 22): health, safety and hygiene; working with others; customer service; dispatching, storing and receiving goods; moving, handling, picking, wrapping and packing goods; recycling and disposal; use of equipment
- SVQs in Warehousing and Storage and 3 (GF9D 23): receipt, storage and dispatch of goods; manage stock levels and records; respond to problems in logistic operations; team leadership; application of technology to logistic operations; build and manage teams; use of equipment
- SVQs in Warehousing and Storage Support Operations level 2 (GF9A 22): health and safety and hygiene; working with others; cleanliness of equipment and work area; keep stock at required levels; move, handle, pick wrap or pick goods
- Logistics Operations level 3 (GF9E 23): contribute to the business; optimise use of resources; maintain health and safety; improve performance in logistics operations; provide leadership, allocate work and check work of team; customer service; health and safety of hazardous goods; compliance with legal, regulatory, ethical and special requirements; receipt, storage and dispatch of goods; minimise environmental impact; application of technology; international road transport operations
These SVQs are delivered and assessed in the workplace; or in conditions of the workplace.
These SVQs are intended for those in any business where moving, handling and storing goods are a function; they are suitable for candidates in a wide range of job roles such as:
- SVQ 2 Warehousing and Storage (GF9C 22): Warehouse Assistants (both Retail and Wholesale); Stockroom Assistants (both Retail and Wholesale); Stock Receivers; Stock Dispatchers; Stock Pickers
- SVQ 3 Warehousing and Storage (GF9D 23): Team Leader; Supervisor; Warehouse Shift Supervisor; Warehouse Manager
- SVQ 2 Warehousing and Storage Support Operations (GF9A 22): Warehousing Operative; Trainees in Goods In Clerk; Goods Out Clerk; Loader/Unloader; Picker/Packer
- Logistics Operations SVQ Level 3 (GF9E 23): Managers (eg Transport Managers, Procurement Managers); Team Leaders; Supervisors; Shift Leaders
Entry is at the discretion of the centre. However, candidates have to be employed in relevant roles in warehousing, storage and logistics operations in order to generate the required evidence.
Candidates require skills and knowledge in warehousing and storage operations, moving, handling and storing goods, and a general understanding of the relevance of their role to maintaining the supply chain.
Assessor Guidelines (available below) include advice to help assessors choose the appropriate SVQ for each candidate.
There are opportunities to progress and gain wider experience within the logistics sector through promotion from basic warehousing and storage roles to supervisors/team leaders; traffic managers and logistics management (eg team leading, management, moving into traffic operations).
All these SVQs (except SVQ 2 in Warehouse and Storage Support) are included in the MA in Freight Logistics
There may also be opportunities to progress to qualifications or membership of relevant professional bodies.
Centres with devolved authority are eligible to seek approval through their own internal approval process.
Centres without devolved authority will have to come forward for approval and should contact the Business Development Team for guidance in completing the combined CA1/SA1 form.
Assessors and verifiers must be able to meet SQA’s general requirements for technical/occupational competence
SVQs are designed to be assessed in the workplace, or in conditions of the workplace. Examples of the settings or centres in which these SVQs are likely to be delivered include:
- Distribution centres
- Stock rooms
- Transport depots
- Any business which moves, handles or stores goods or materials
However, the Sector Skills Council, Skills for Logistics, has developed an Assessment Strategy which defines a range of requirements for these SVQs covering:
- the occupational expertise of assessors and verifiers
- a definition of simulation
- definition of the workplace
- information on a model of independent assessment or external quality control
Comprehensive Assessor Guidelines for these SVQs are available below. These guidelines include:
- guidance on matching candidates to the appropriate SVQ
- outline of roles of the assessor and of the candidate
- practical advice for assessing candidates including examples of assessment plans, types and methods of assessment, how to generate relevant and appropriate evidence, advice on developing candidate portfolios, how to judge evidence and make an assessment decision
- advice on authentication of candidates’ evidence
- wide range of useful templates/recording forms
Warehousing and Storage and Logistics Operations Management
|Level:||1, 2 and 3|
|Downloads:||Assessor’s Guidelines Warehousing and Storage and Logistics Operations Management levels 1, 2 & 3 (183 KB)|
Internal Assessment Reports
- 2012 Internal Assessment Report (70 KB)
Candidate Guidance and Portfolio
- Skills for Logistics is the Sector Skils Council for the freight logistics industry.