Travel and Tourism (National 4)
National 4 Skills for Work: Travel and Tourism is an introductory qualification in travel and tourism. It develops the skills, knowledge and attitudes, needed for work in the travel and tourism industry.
Learners will develop:
- skills to become effective job-seekers and employees
- skills to deal effectively with all aspects of customer care and customer service in travel and tourism
- the product knowledge and skills to deal effectively with customer enquiries in relation to travel and tourism in Scotland, the rest of the United Kingdom and worldwide
At SCQF level 4, learners work alone or with others on straightforward tasks with support.
This qualification is available through schools and colleges.
Why deliver this qualification
The structure of National 4 Skills for Work: Travel and Tourism is consistent with the equivalent Course at SCQF level 4. This allows centres to choose activities and delivery methods which best suit their circumstances and candidates.
The Units have been written in a hierarchical format, to facilitate multi-level delivery. This allows learners to achieve at their highest level, but enables achievement at a lower level if necessary.
There is considerable flexibility of topics and contexts to facilitate personalisation and choice for learners and centres — and to allow new and stimulating contexts for learning to be built into the Course.
It is anticipated that the Course will build on existing partnerships between schools, colleges of further education, employers and other training providers. Such partnerships will enable the Course to be delivered in a variety of appropriate learning environments with access to relevant teaching expertise.
Who does this qualification suit
This qualification is suitable for a wide range of learners including:
- pupils from mainstream schools or other education establishments
- school leavers
- adult returners to education
- learners in employment who wish to enhance their career prospects
- learners participating in 16+ programmes
- college students wishing to develop their skills and knowledge in relation to travel and tourism
- trainees participating in preparation for entering employment
- individuals involved in voluntary activities
Entry is at the discretion of the centre.
Successful learners may progress to:
- Travel and Tourism: Skills for Work at SCQF level 5 and other qualifications in Travel and Tourism
- vocational training
Centres with devolved authority for approval should use their own internal approval process.
Centres without devolved authority will have to come forward for approval and should contact SQA’s Business Development Team for guidance.
Assessors and verifiers must be able to meet SQA’s general requirements for technical/occupational competence as outlined in the Guide to Approval.
How to assess
There is no external assessment for this Course. Learners must successfully complete each Unit to achieve the Course.
Unit specifications provide detailed information on the Evidence Requirements for each Unit. The Unit Support Notes provide information on approaches to assessment for each Unit.
The Units are internally assessed by centres and externally verified by SQA.
Where can you take this course?
Qualification content and delivery tools
Group Award code: C776 74(24 SCQF credit points) SCQF level: 4
The National 4 Skills for Work Course in Travel and Tourism consists of four mandatory Unit(s).
For further information on the structure and units of this qualification please refer to the Course Specification document.
- Course Specification (196 KB)
- Course Support Notes (402 KB)
- Unit Specifications (Customer Service) (151 KB)
- Unit Specifications (Employability) (152 KB)
- Unit Specifications (Scotland) (149 KB)
- Unit Specifications (UK & Worldwide) (175 KB)
- Unit Support Notes (Customer Service) (441 KB)
- Unit Support Notes (Employability) (435 KB)
- Unit Support Notes (Scotland) (446 KB)
- Unit Support Notes (UK & Worldwide) (459 KB)
Offer this qualification